Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm
A coworker was in an accident a while ago. He is an insider that sometimes drives if needed. He recently got a letter from his former insurance company saying that because he was delivering at the time, they would not be covering him. I'm waiting on him to get me a copy of his policy to look over, but I wanna say I remember there being a rule that if it is not the primary use of the vehicle for business purposes, then a personal policy can cover the rare odd usage. Is this my brain being stupid or is there hope for this guy? It's Georgia, if that matters any lol

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 pm
tompace wrote:A coworker was in an accident a while ago. He is an insider that sometimes drives if needed. He recently got a letter from his former insurance company saying that because he was delivering at the time, they would not be covering him. I'm waiting on him to get me a copy of his policy to look over, but I wanna say I remember there being a rule that if it is not the primary use of the vehicle for business purposes, then a personal policy can cover the rare odd usage. Is this my brain being stupid or is there hope for this guy? It's Georgia, if that matters any lol

Sorry it took me so long to respond, been busy with other things.

Well, you're right to wait to review his actual policy, that will be the governing rules.

Was he delivering when the accident occurred?

If he was not delivering when the accident occurred I don't see how the insurance company has a leg to stand on. And if that is the case your coworker should speak with an attorney that specializes in car accidents, that attorney will have a much better grasp on the issues are hand.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:00 pm
Yeah he was delivering at the time. I'm trying to help him out a bit cuz he's not a driver, he's somewhere between an insider and a shifty who happens to take deliveries if it gets really busy.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 pm
tompace wrote:Yeah he was delivering at the time. I'm trying to help him out a bit cuz he's not a driver, he's somewhere between an insider and a shifty who happens to take deliveries if it gets really busy.

There might not be anything you can do to help, other than reviewing his policy. If you can find nothing int he policy that would specifically disallow the delivery/commercial activity and the insurance company still does not want to pay out on the claim, then he should talk to an attorney.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Return to Car Insurance