Any Advice on Companies for Insurance

Shift Manager
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
91 toyota celica
90 toyota 4x4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 pm
I knew the day would come some idiot would hit me on the clock. (Again). I was hit by a drunk driver with no auto insurance. Of course, my insurance does not cover this, even with uninsured motorist, I was on the clock. I have tried to get a commercial policy before, but here in Ohio, State Farm required me to be a home-owner, which was my current company at the time. Progressive quoted me $181.00 a month, which at times is an entire paycheck, so that is a no-go. Does anyone have any experience with actual companies here in Ohio for insurance? I was told I could get bonded insurance really cheap that would cover me in any car and for any purpose, and I did make the phone call, but I seemed to have confused the agent as to why I would want this policy, even after explaining I delivered pizza.

The saddest part, is I could really fix the car ok, with a 2x4 and make it look so-so but my company does not like the way my car looks and is harassing me about it, even before it had any body damage. After an agent I spoke to explained the right policy would cover my vehicle and down time if I missed work for any losses, I figured it might be worth looking into a few more companies. Any ideas?
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 am
State Farm is the most often recommended car insurance by delivery drivers nationwide.

The two highest rated car insurance companies are USAA (for people with a military connection) and Amica Mutual.

You do not necessarily need commercial car insurance if your private auto policy covers you on pizza delivery. My regular USAA policy covers me on delivery. Many people say their normal State Farm policy covers pizza delivery. The only way to find out is to be honest about what you do and ASK!
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

n00b

Where do you work?:
PJ's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Coupe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 pm
Gregster I would love to get some help on you verifying that USAA covers delivery, because the rep I just spoke to on the phone says they do not.. please respond :?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:36 pm
ottokrieg wrote:Gregster I would love to get some help on you verifying that USAA covers delivery, because the rep I just spoke to on the phone says they do not.. please respond :?

I've spoken to reps on the phone also that have informed me that they do not cover 'delivery', and I mean reps from USAA. It might depend on the State you live in and what the State allows, not 100% positive on that. I know Gregster has provided much information about this subject and he has said it has something to do with what the policy actually covers and that you should read the policy, instead of trusting an uniformed phone answering monkey.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:42 pm
elric92 wrote:It might depend on the State you live in

I was about to say the same thing.

Insurance laws vary by state and the very same company can have very different laws they must go by in different states.

A better question would be, :"Can you tell me exactly which sentence or paragraph in the policy states that it does not cover for part time business use of my vehicle?"
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

n00b

Where do you work?:
Insurance
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Subaru
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:54 pm
Gregster,

I would double check your information. I've been a USAA employee for over three years and they do not cover pizza delivery in any state, nor do they provide coverage on their commercial policies.

I myself have started delivering part time. I've been shopping State Farm and Progressive.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:44 am
u130309 wrote:Gregster,

I would double check your information. I've been a USAA employee for over three years and they do not cover pizza delivery in any state, nor do they provide coverage on their commercial policies.

I myself have started delivering part time. I've been shopping State Farm and Progressive.

Gregster did not, to my knowledge, state that USAA does provide insurance that would cover delivery drivers. Just that it varies from state to state.

We, those of us here on this forum, seem to prefer State Farm, since they seem to offer either personal insurance that will cover a delivery driver or a commercial level insurance that is a much better price point than Progressive, or any other insurance company providing insurance for delivery drivers.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:26 pm
American Family covers me in georgia. They know I deliver and told me it was ok. I pay under 200 a month for full coverage on 2 vehicles, with 2 drivers, one of which has accident in the last 3 years.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:38 pm
My insurance company is out of Ohio. They are Western Reserve Group. It runs me around $100 a month for business use; but of course my driving record was great when I first bought them and only made one claim on them.

They are out of Wooster, Ohio. Of course, I got them through an agent in Indiana; so not sure if that will affect anything.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Domino's Pizza
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Sedan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:13 pm
Crap, didn't consider this. My wife takes care of the bills and we use Geico. Gonna be fun times telling her about it, but I can't stand the Smart car for more than a day.
Next

Return to Car Insurance