Welcome to the Pizza Delivery Drivers Forum!

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:22 am
LeSmithy wrote:I didn't know these existed....and I'm glad they do.

Good to be here

Glad you could join us!

How did you find us?

Don't be afraid to join in any conversation/thread even if it's been awhile since anyone has posted. There are those of us that monitor the forum and answer questions when someone has them.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

CSR/Phones

Where do you work?:
Where we savor the favor
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda CRV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:55 pm
This place is wonderful forum good information on being a pizza delivery driver. I have been a delivery driver for about three years now. Forums like this are making me aware of what my company is doing to us drivers.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
compact
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 pm
Hey there all! Been delivering pizza for about the last 25 years or so for one business or another :) Found this forum while trying to learn about the laws governing minimum wage since we're having an issue here in Arizona with Papa John's no longer paying minimum wage while in-store.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 pm
weirdajs wrote:This place is wonderful forum good information on being a pizza delivery driver. I have been a delivery driver for about three years now. Forums like this are making me aware of what my company is doing to us drivers.

It is great that you've found this resource! How did you find us?

Now the difficult work begins: educating yourself on all the ways these employers take advantage of the delivery driver employees. Ask questions in any of the threads you read, if those questions have merit many of us will answer them. If the questions do not have merit though we'll likely ignore them.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 pm
AZPizzaGuy wrote:Hey there all! Been delivering pizza for about the last 25 years or so for one business or another :) Found this forum while trying to learn about the laws governing minimum wage since we're having an issue here in Arizona with Papa John's no longer paying minimum wage while in-store.

You found us while searching about the laws on minimum wage? WOW... that's fucking awesome that we've got such good exposure. I'll be commenting on your post regarding your situation in AZ, It won't be immediate, but keep coming back and reading more... education is not even half the battle.

n00b

Where do you work?:
MUY Pizza Hut
2549 SW Military
San Antonio, TX 78224
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2013 Nissian 370z
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:09 pm
Hi
I am new here but I have questions and I have read your posts.
I work in San Antonio, TX and just found out ...a lot of new things that are not on the up and up regarding my deliveries.
I work for MUY and just found out why I don't receive all my tips.
Please if you can ...please direct me here in San Antonio TX to the right people to talk to.
Thank you and please email me...with this information if you can.?
Nancy N

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm
nmneira007 wrote:Hi
I am new here but I have questions and I have read your posts.
I work in San Antonio, TX and just found out ...a lot of new things that are not on the up and up regarding my deliveries.
I work for MUY and just found out why I don't receive all my tips.
Please if you can ...please direct me here in San Antonio TX to the right people to talk to.
Thank you and please email me...with this information if you can.?
Nancy N

Nancy,

Welcome to the forum. I've approved both your posts, even though they are the exact same posts. Before anyone can direct you to the "right people to talk to" we have to know what your issue is. It would be best of you started your own thread in the General Discussion about the Pizza Biz portion of the forum explaining what you believe you have found so one of us can determine if you have a valid issue then someone can, hopefully, direct you to the appropriate agency.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Big3 Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Civic
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:34 am
Hello everyone! It is my first time posting here!
I have had some concerns about mileage reimbursement so I started to look thru the Internet for answers and that's when I came across Pizza Delivery Drivers Forum!

Some info about me:
Lives in: California
Minimum Wage: 10.50
Car: 2003 Honda Civic
Mileage Reimbursement: 1.1 per delivery
Average Distance: 7-9 miles
Cent-per-mile: 1.1/7=0.157cpm

So here is my story. I started working for Big3 Franchise 4 years ago. Delivery charge at the time was 2.5 and 1.6 went to the driver. We used to take doubles and triples, our delivery range has always been the same. (on average 7 miles round trip). At the end of the driver's shift the manager would multiple the number of deliveries times 7 (+/- a couple miles). Wasn't as bad as we would take multiple runs all the time.
Fast forward 4 years and delivery charge is 4 and 1.1 goes to the driver. For a couple of months now we have this new policy where we must take what the system says. Which means no doubles and triples(I don't think anyone has taken a triple for over a year, so it basically means no doubles). We are driving with one delivery at the time even on the weekends, even if they are on the same street. On a very rare occasions the system does say to take a double, today it happened once out of 10 deliveries.
Even tho we started driving more miles we still only get paid 1.1 for a delivery. So yeah average distance for a delivery USED TO be around 7 miles, from what I have seen lately its been more like 7-9 miles, for example
Mileage 87, Deliveries 10 0.126cpm
Mileage 42.5, Deliveries 6 0.155cpm
Mileage 44, Deliveries 7 0.175cpm
Mileage 107, Deliveries 14 0.143cpm
Mileage 76, Deliveries 10 0.144cpm

Of course because delivery charge is 4 dollars people do not want to tip as much and often times I PAY TO DELIVER PEOPLES FOOD! How is it legal!?

My question is what kind of information/proof should I start collecting in case I would decide to take a legal action

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 am
PizzaGuy wrote:Hello everyone! It is my first time posting here!
I have had some concerns about mileage reimbursement so I started to look thru the Internet for answers and that's when I came across Pizza Delivery Drivers Forum!

Some info about me:
Lives in: California
Minimum Wage: 10.50
Car: 2003 Honda Civic
Mileage Reimbursement: 1.1 per delivery
Average Distance: 7-9 miles
Cent-per-mile: 1.1/7=0.157cpm

So here is my story. I started working for Big3 Franchise 4 years ago. Delivery charge at the time was 2.5 and 1.6 went to the driver. We used to take doubles and triples, our delivery range has always been the same. (on average 7 miles round trip). At the end of the driver's shift the manager would multiple the number of deliveries times 7 (+/- a couple miles). Wasn't as bad as we would take multiple runs all the time.
Fast forward 4 years and delivery charge is 4 and 1.1 goes to the driver. For a couple of months now we have this new policy where we must take what the system says. Which means no doubles and triples(I don't think anyone has taken a triple for over a year, so it basically means no doubles). We are driving with one delivery at the time even on the weekends, even if they are on the same street. On a very rare occasions the system does say to take a double, today it happened once out of 10 deliveries.
Even tho we started driving more miles we still only get paid 1.1 for a delivery. So yeah average distance for a delivery USED TO be around 7 miles, from what I have seen lately its been more like 7-9 miles, for example
Mileage 87, Deliveries 10 0.126cpm
Mileage 42.5, Deliveries 6 0.155cpm
Mileage 44, Deliveries 7 0.175cpm
Mileage 107, Deliveries 14 0.143cpm
Mileage 76, Deliveries 10 0.144cpm

Of course because delivery charge is 4 dollars people do not want to tip as much and often times I PAY TO DELIVER PEOPLES FOOD! How is it legal!?

My question is what kind of information/proof should I start collecting in case I would decide to take a legal action

Hi PizzaGuy, glad you found us!!

The information you want to start collecting is a daily log of:

# of miles for each shift
# of deliveries for the shift
Amount of reimbursement you received for the shift

Being in California you're even luckier than most, since the laws of California are very employee friendly. If you are interested in perusing a case against your employer I might be able to recommend an attorney or two, depending on where you are in California.

You might want to ask at least one of your trusted coworkers to start keeping the same daily mileage log so you can have multiple sources of evidence. I would also suggest you read and become intimately familiar with the following posts:

Is your Employer breaking Federal Minimum Wage Law?, it might not seem to apply to you, but it does. California has enacted laws that are as good, if not better, than federal law. California also has recent (in the last decade) Supreme Court (California) rulings that are on point for this and similar issues (cellphone reimbursement).

I know it's a lot of reading, but if you're going to peruse this, you need to educate yourself and that thread is where most of the information is. After reading it, if you have further questions please post a comment in that thread and some one will provide feedback.

Then you should read Kurth v. Seattle PJ Pizza and the attached PDF, which is the legal claims I made against my previous employer. This will also help you understand the intricacies of the issues at hand.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Indy
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Compact car
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:51 pm
Hi all, just discovered this forum yesterday. I wish I would've found it sooner because it looks like most of the posts are from years back and has since died down, but I'll give it a shot anyways.
First I'll tell you a little about myself.
* I've been delivering for almost 15 years
* Worked at all three of the Big3 pizza places and also Jimmy John's
* Worked at three locally owned places
* Have currently worked at the same locally owned place full time for 5+ years
* I drive a 2 door hatchback that gets 29mpg city 36 highway
* I live in Illinois about an hour from Chicago

In my early days, I would work a day job and work rush shifts at night. For the past 9 years I've been delivering full time. I find in my area you make way better money if you work a closing shift opposed to rush so I close almost every night I work.
In my opinion based on experience, locally owned places are better to work for several reasons. The owners know you personally and treat you more like a person than an expendable body. Also the turnover rate is much lower. It feels more like a family, which can be a bad thing sometimes :lol: but usually good. The starting hourly rate is nearly the same, but can get raises the longer you've been there. On the downside though, you will never get any paid time off which I know the big3 provides paid vacations after a year. Any time you take off is unpaid.
But the number one reason locally owned is better is because you get to keep the whole delivery fee plus whatever you get for a tip. We also deliver much farther than the big3 but the far ones are $5 delivery fee and most of those people will tip you well on top of that because they're grateful someone will actually deliver there. Those fees add up though. If you take 15 deliveries in a night you'll make more than you would at a big3 on 25 deliveries.

I'm not bashing anyone who works for a big3 place by any means. Just sharing my personal experience and why it works better for me. I wish all of you the best at your places of employment and to get the best tips possible. I hope I start seeing more people joining and posting soon. Whoever started this site, I think this was a great idea to put this page together where everyone can share their experiences and get good answers on questions they may have. I really wish I would've found this site sooner.
PreviousNext

Return to Lawsuits against Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's