Tricks to get better tips

Always check here first for new topics. Post any new topics here first. I will move topics into other areas as needed so they can be found easily by new members.

n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:04 pm

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
ford focus
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm
Didn't see a thread like this yet.

What do you do to avoid getting stiffed, or to get a better tip?

examples:
-don't just walk up and say the price of the pizza. say "hey, how you doin" etc.
-stand in the door longer than usual if they're about to stiff you, to make it awkward for them
-dress nice, look nice (if you dont have a uniform).
-in winter, put a winter hat and gloves on even if it isn't that cold, so they think you are freezing!

What do you do?
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6227
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 pm
Image

Great thread idea! Welcome to the board sdruss83!

I circle the words 'tip'. 'total' and 'customer signature'. Then I draw a smiley face on the far side of the tip line, and write "thanks!" just below it. That alone greatly reduced the number of stiffs on credit card slips.

Then later as I got more confidant with repeated stiffers, if they left the tip and total lines blank, I would hand the slip back to them and say "For your own protection, can you please completely fill out the tip and total lines? I am not the only person who handles this paper and I'd hate to have someone else add a tip on there without your knowledge."

Many repeated cold-hearted stiffers would break down and finally write a tip in when confronted like that.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image

n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:04 pm

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
ford focus
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 pm
gregster wrote:Great thread idea! Welcome to the board sdruss83!

I circle the words 'tip'. 'total' and 'customer signature'. Then I draw a smiley face on the far side of the tip line, and write "thanks!" just below it. That alone greatly reduced the number of stiffs on credit card slips.

Then later as I got more confidant with repeated stiffers, if they left the tip and total lines blank, I would hand the slip back to them and say "For your own protection, can you please completely fill out the tip and total lines? I am not the only person who handles this paper and I'd hate to have someone else add a tip on there without your knowledge."

Many repeated cold-hearted stiffers would break down and finally write a tip in when confronted like that.


those are great! I loathe credit card deliveries cuz half of them dont tip. at least with cash I'll probably get the remaining change. I wonder how my boss would feel about me circling the tip area?
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6227
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 pm
Don't ask, just start doing it. Say you are just making it easier for the customer to find the proper lines on the receipt, so the transaction goes faster. If you do it on every receipt, you are not singling any one out. Saying 'thanks' in advance while not even knowing if you will get a tip shows that you are just being courteous and professional, and not 'soliciting a tip'.

I have been doing this to CC receipts for years now and have never had a single complaint. Several 'serial stiffers' have however been converted to regular tippers. :D
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image

n00b
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 pm

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
06 Ford Taurus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm
I use a little clipboard for credit slips. At the top of the clipboard, on the actual clip, I used a label maker to write the words God Bless. At the bottom of the clipboard I attached a photo of my 4 year old son. When people comment on how cute he is, I explain to them that it is my son and I have to work a second job for TIPS to pay for his preschool. I also circle the words tip and total on the receipt with little arrows pointing to the spot where they can fill it in.

Another Tip is if a parent gives a child $$ to pay for their order, I just tell the kid "trade you" without telling them the total and walk away after the exchange. Never ask a kid if they need change, they will always say yes regardless of what the parent has told them prior. I've been in this game 7 years and have never had a parent call back for their change. If they do you can always blame the kid.
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6227
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm
Welcome to the board!

UncleDaddy wrote:I use a little clipboard for credit slips. At the top of the clipboard, on the actual clip, I used a label maker to write the words God Bless. At the bottom of the clipboard I attached a photo of my 4 year old son. When people comment on how cute he is, I explain to them that it is my son and I have to work a second job for TIPS to pay for his preschool. I also circle the words tip and total on the receipt with little arrows pointing to the spot where they can fill it in.


Good idea!

UncleDaddy wrote:Another Tip is if a parent gives a child $$ to pay for their order, I just tell the kid "trade you" without telling them the total and walk away after the exchange. Never ask a kid if they need change, they will always say yes regardless of what the parent has told them prior. I've been in this game 7 years and have never had a parent call back for their change. If they do you can always blame the kid.


WORD!
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image

n00b
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
dodge ram 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 pm
Let them give you the money first, then hand them their food. Make a big production out of getting your bank out of your pocket to give them change. The smell of those yummy hot pizzas will encourage them to say "just keep it." Talk to their dogs, cats, kids, whatever. Comment on how pretty their flowers, trees, shrubs are this year. Any kind of small talk will do. Don't drive a brand new car, make it look like you need the money. But don't drive something that will leak oil all over their driveway either. Keep your car clean. Don't blast the radio. Let them see you driving slowly through the neighborhood paying careful attention for kids out playing. If they are partying and the smoke knocks you over when they open the door, tell them you like the "incense" they are burning. Ask how the game is going and what the score is, but don't take sides. Take napkins and free stuff like parmesan or crushed red peppers to all hotel orders. Take coupons on all deliveries and offer them to customer at door. Smile and be nice to everyone, even if they are notorious non-tippers. Wear them down and kill them with kindness.

n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1992 Toyota MR2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm
I agree with the "kill them with kindness" approach, usually works for me. Also, I get better tips when I'm driving my winter beater than in my summer cruiser. Dealing with the kids is the best! :lol: Last night I took a grand total of 6 drives, 4 of them were credit cards, and they were the only ones that don't tip. :evil: Most everybody in this town is broke, so squeezing a tip out of the stiffers is pretty much impossible. I mentioned the "tip" and "total" lines on the slip as I handed it to one of the usuals and he just glared at me with the "you really think I'm gonna tip you?!" look. Can't get 'em all...

n00b
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Focus
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:27 am
Maybe don't circle it, but a bright highlighter would do. No one really looks at the receipts once they're logged in these days. They're shoved in an envelope and filed for a year.

I work two places. For both I greet the customer with a big smile and say one of several set phrases. Anything to be a bit different.

I believe I'm expected.
Good evening, my hungry people.
You ordered my favorite toppings.
Thank you for saving me a parking spot (I deliver in the city).
Thank you so much for the bright, inviting porch light.
Man, this pizza smelled good on the way over.

At Pizza Hut I always thrust a couple packets of cheese and peppers to the customer and say "Just in case you want to spike it up a bit." For the other joint I always brag on the owners Chicago crust recipe.

I always hand them back a bunch of ones to make tipping easier.

n00b
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:40 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
geo storm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 am
1. I THINK ALL OF THESE IDEAS ARE GOOD, AND MOSTLY LETS NOT FORGET BEING WELL GROOMED AND HYGENE, (HAIR, FACIAL HAIR, UNIFORM) ALSO WHEN DELIVERING DONT GO TO THEIR DOOR WITH A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HAPPEND EARLIER AT WORK OR YOUR PERSONAL LIFE THAT HAS UPSET YOU CAUSE ITS NOT THEIR FAULT.

2. TRY NO TO BE LATE, AND GET TO KNOW YOUR CUSTOMERS CAUSE IF YOU ARE IN A SMALL TOWN THERE ARE GOING TO BE ALOT OF OF CUSTOMERS THAT ARE REPEAT ORDERERS AND THEN YOU WILL KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THEM.

3. REMEMBER YES THE TIPS ARE NICE BUT YOU CAN'T EXACTLY EXPECT ONE EVERY SINGLE TIME AND THE KEY TO GETTING MORE IS ALWASYS WORKING ON YOUR PEOPLE SKILLS AND JUST HAVEING A SHORT CONVESATION WITH YOUR CUSTOMER WHILE THEY ARE GRTTING THERE MONEY FOR THE BILL.
Next

Return to General Discussion about the Pizza Biz

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest