Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 am
Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but here it is. The Papa John's I work at is going to, sometime in the next 6 months, receive new car toppers that will have GPS modules built in that report in real time. My first concern, that customers could view this data, was shot down that "only management and higher can view the data". My other concerns revolve around their use for nitpicking or micromanaging drivers, or ridiculous disciplining (one of the things mentioned was that it records and reports "acceleration violations" or taking a turn too fast).

As near as I can tell, the law supports their use because A) we can remove them in off hours and B) we are informed prior to their use.

My question is this: would this be something that drivers, using PCA (Protected Concerted Activity), would be able to get changed?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm
tompace wrote:My question is this: would this be something that drivers, using PCA (Protected Concerted Activity), would be able to get changed?

Yes and No.

Yes, you could use PCA to form a union and collectively bargain this condition away.

No... because you're not going to be able to get enough drivers to form a union or if you get enough to form a union you are not going to get enough to force a change in that specific condition of employment.

Please do not take my answers as an opposition to a) forming a union, b) changing this condition of employment. I am all for not having employees monitored every second of the day, but I am also aware of the rights of the employer, and this condition is well within their rights.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

dough slapper

Where do you work?:
Papa John's Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Dat car
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:18 pm
I've been expecting pizza places to start doing this for years now. Was just thinking the other day just how much my privacy would get violated by this, especially considering how much my phone tracks on a regular basis. Just another attempt to strip every single shred of individuality and privacy as possible. My store hasn't said anything about this, but I wouldn't expect them to unless they absolutely had to. Honestly it's insulting to try to strip even more data from us while we get no compensation at all in return.

Possibly slightly related, but has anyone else in PJ's had any driver trip reports posted on walls and subsequently removed lately? They stated every driver's number of runs, average trip time, average number of deliveries per run, etc. I'm regularly #1-3, even twice as efficient as some drivers, but not long ago they stopped posting them because "they encouraged drivers to do deliveries quicker..." Honestly, they already track our deliveries, miles, and delivery time, what else could they stand to gain from sticking tracking devices on you other than a blatant move to strip you of privacy?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:54 pm
Diorte wrote:I've been expecting pizza places to start doing this for years now. Was just thinking the other day just how much my privacy would get violated by this, especially considering how much my phone tracks on a regular basis. Just another attempt to strip every single shred of individuality and privacy as possible. My store hasn't said anything about this, but I wouldn't expect them to unless they absolutely had to. Honestly it's insulting to try to strip even more data from us while we get no compensation at all in return.

Ok... there is a thread here, somewhere, that discusses the tracking of employee location. I'm not going to look for it right now, I don't have the time.

Here's the thing... while you are on the clock your employer has the right to track your location. I don't like that they are allowed to do this, but I understand that they have the right. It is also extremely relevant for us delivery drivers. We are being paid to perform our employer's business, not our own, while we are on the clock. We all know that there are some delivery drivers that abuse the relationship and perform personal business while they are on the clock.

Where the tracking of our location becomes an issue is when that tracking is done when we are off the clock. The thread/article I mentioned addresses this issue, as I believe it addresses a case brought before the NLRB. If I remember correctly the NLRB ruled that the tracking of an employee's location, while off the clock, would significantly chill an employees right to participate in PCA, since the employer could then track where/when employees congregate while off the clock.

Diorte wrote:Possibly slightly related, but has anyone else in PJ's had any driver trip reports posted on walls and subsequently removed lately?

Related but different animals. That information is the property of your employer and your employer can do what they want with it. It sucks that your statistics are being presented to your coworkers, but only if you are a less than average delivery driver. Luckily for me I was arguably the best delivery driver at my location on all but one statistic.

Diorte wrote:They stated every driver's number of runs, average trip time, average number of deliveries per run, etc. I'm regularly #1-3, even twice as efficient as some drivers, but not long ago they stopped posting them because "they encouraged drivers to do deliveries quicker..." Honestly, they already track our deliveries, miles, and delivery time, what else could they stand to gain from sticking tracking devices on you other than a blatant move to strip you of privacy?

They can find out what those shitty delivery drivers are doing when they should be efficiently making deliveries. I know of one of my former coworkers would stop off at Burger King, McDs, or anywhere that has a drive through that sells soft serve ice cream cones. I am not talking about once in awhile, I'm talking like multiple times per shift. And he'd complain that he could not get enough deliveries... fuck that guy.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Return to Union and NLRB issues