n00b

Where do you work?:
pj's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
suv
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm
My store charges $3.50 delivery charge, the drivers get NO mileage. This started at beginning of year. We get paid minimum wage and that's all. Our delivery area is quite large, my average delivery round trip is around 12 miles. Is this legal? Who do I contact to complain? Also, I hear they're going to outsource our jobs to a delivery company in the near future.anyone else hearing things like that?

Day Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 pm
If you are driving your own car, this is most certainly NOT legal. If you are driving a car provided by your employer, then yes it's completely legal. Please read over

http://gregspages.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9

dRoop wrote:Who do I contact to complain?

Unfortunately, the only way to currently do anything about this is to get a lawyer.

dRoop wrote:Also, I hear they're going to outsource our jobs to a delivery company in the near future.anyone else hearing things like that?

This will, in all likelihood, never be cost efficient. Someone still has to pay them for doing the driving...and if they don't get paid hourly, eventually enough people will get fed up with not "making" money and quit.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 am
tompace wrote:If you are driving your own car, this is most certainly NOT legal. If you are driving a car provided by your employer, then yes it's completely legal. Please read over

tompace, please slow down on calling things legal or illegal. More information needs to be obtained before making that call.

dRoop, what State do you work in?

What is your hourly wage?

Are you paid via any form of tip credit?

tompace wrote:

Unfortunately, the only way to currently do anything about this is to get a lawyer.

That is not true tompace. dRoop could contact his local Department of Labor and might be able achieve some level of relief.

tompace wrote:
dRoop wrote:Also, I hear they're going to outsource our jobs to a delivery company in the near future.anyone else hearing things like that?

This will, in all likelihood, never be cost efficient. Someone still has to pay them for doing the driving...and if they don't get paid hourly, eventually enough people will get fed up with not "making" money and quit.

I happen to agree with tompace here, I do not think it will be cost effective. Having worked for both Papa Johns and one of the food delivery services, I do not see this happening. But I could also see it happening... if the pizza chain does not care about timely deliveries.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Day Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:30 am
elric92 wrote:tompace, please slow down on calling things legal or illegal. More information needs to be obtained before making that call.

He said he gets paid min wage and nothing else. Doesn't that, by default, mean that if he is driving his own car, he is incurring costs, therefore it automatically dropping below minimum wage resulting in a violation?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:24 pm
tompace wrote:
elric92 wrote:tompace, please slow down on calling things legal or illegal. More information needs to be obtained before making that call.

He said he gets paid min wage and nothing else. Doesn't that, by default, mean that if he is driving his own car, he is incurring costs, therefore it automatically dropping below minimum wage resulting in a violation?

Hey!! Stop that!! Making me look like I did not read his entire post... <grumble-mumble> damn kids...

Yes, Yes.. he did say that and you're right!!

n00b

Where do you work?:
pj's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
suv
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 pm
Edit: By elric92. I edited your post to get the quotes correct, so as to make the post less confusing. We've reached the limit on amount of nested quotes.

elric92 wrote:
tompace wrote:If you are driving your own car, this is most certainly NOT legal. If you are driving a car provided by your employer, then yes it's completely legal. Please read over

tompace, please slow down on calling things legal or illegal. More information needs to be obtained before making that call.

dRoop, what State do you work in?

What is your hourly wage?

Are you paid via any form of tip credit?

I work in Ny and get paid minimum wage. We dont get a tip credit, just our tips. Majority of them are credit card, so we get taxed on them too. Basically most of my daily tips go to gas, then i get taxed on them which brings my hourly wage way down. Its pretty crappy, im looking for another job. I had 12 deliveries drove 160 miles last night 9 hours and grossed $22 bucks.Gas is roughly $2.50/gallon,20mpg, I made like $4 and that's just fuel cost and Im gonna get taxed on my tips, probably had a negative net and thats just fuel.

elric92 wrote:
tompace wrote:

That is not true tompace. dRoop could contact his local Department of Labor and might be able achieve some level of relief.

tompace wrote:

I happen to agree with tompace here, I do not think it will be cost effective. Having worked for both Papa Johns and one of the food delivery services, I do not see this happening. But I could also see it happening... if the pizza chain does not care about timely deliveries.[/quote]

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:34 pm
I am going to come off as a dick, I apologize from the beginning. I do not intend to be a dick, it's just the way I communicate, sorry.

dRoop wrote:I work in Ny and get paid minimum wage. We dont get a tip credit, just our tips.

The two things are mutually exclusive. I don't mean to sound callous, but this comment causes me to believe that you do not understand what tip credit is.

According to this link, New York state (as well as New York City) allows tip credit. YOU don't get a tip credit, your employer is allowed to take a credit against the tips you receive. Do you understand what that means?

dRoop wrote: Majority of them are credit card, so we get taxed on them too.

Yes, I understand that. I was not seeking this information. That information is not useful for our discussion.

dRoop wrote:Basically most of my daily tips go to gas, then i get taxed on them which brings my hourly wage way down.

No.

I need you to, seriously, change your way of thought; that is going to be difficult (I know). Your tips don't go to anything, they are simply your tips. Your tips are your property, to do with as you will. That you spend your property (note I did not say tips) on gas is immaterial for this discussion.

If you are not receiving adequate mileage reimbursement, then we can discuss that. Are you receiving adequate mileage reimbursment?

You should be taxed on your tips, they are income and income is expected to be taxed. I do not advocate tax evasion, but I do know that many, if not most, delivery drivers evade paying taxes on at least a portion (their cash tips) of their actual tips.

Additionally, one should never think of taxes as a burden; unless they are excessive (and they are not at this time). Taxes are what pays for the roads that you drive down. They pay for the bridges that you might use. They pay for a great many things that you use every day and don't even realize it.

dRoop wrote:Its pretty crappy, im looking for another job. I had 12 deliveries drove 160 miles last night 9 hours and grossed $22 bucks.

What do you mean by "grossed $22 bucks"? Break it down for me...

For those 12 deliveries how much in tips did you receive?

For those 12 deliveries (and 160 miles) how much in mileage reimbursement did you receive?

Do you receive a paycheck/paystub at the end of the pay period? Would you be willing to scan it and upload it (making sure to redact all personally identifiable information)?

dRoop wrote:Gas is roughly $2.50/gallon,20mpg, I made like $4 and that's just fuel cost and Im gonna get taxed on my tips, probably had a negative net and thats just fuel.

Ya, gas is $2.50/gal here also (at least at Costco where I fuel up).

Are you saying for 12 deliveries you earned $4 in mileage reimbursement?

Again, taxes... not a burden, stop getting stuck on them.

You also never answered the question: What is your hourly wage?

If you do not know your hourly wage, then you need to acquire that information by reviewing your pay stubs.

n00b

Where do you work?:
pj's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
suv
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:23 pm
I didn't want to reply because like you said"your a dick", but they did fire all the drivers. No notice, no heads up, just no schedule, no hours and that's that. They went to outsourced drivers. Guess this is the future. They did this in a few franchised stores in NYS.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:46 pm
Well that sucks. Guess you'll be able to do something about your condition now since you're willing to engage someone that has the knowledge you need.

Return to Announcements