Just starting a job as a delivery driver


n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

Where do you work?:
Chopsticks
User Type:
Other Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Jeep
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 am
New to delivery driving, and something was strange to me. Are any of you familiar with a business paying their drivers the hourly wage and subsequently charging a fee per order? For example, if i deliver one order, that's a $2 fee. If I deliver more than one at a time, that's a $5 fee. Theoretically, on a very bad day where there's few tipping customers I could end up not making anything since the fees would eat up my $3/hr wage.

Master Driver
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Wa
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:31 pm
colsco wrote:New to delivery driving, and something was strange to me. Are any of you familiar with a business paying their drivers the hourly wage and subsequently charging a fee per order? For example, if i deliver one order, that's a $2 fee. If I deliver more than one at a time, that's a $5 fee. Theoretically, on a very bad day where there's few tipping customers I could end up not making anything since the fees would eat up my $3/hr wage.

Let me welcome you to the forum, WELCOME!!

Now let me get into the meat of your issue and warn you that this post will most likely be moved, since this is not the correct place, in this forum, to post this thread...

Ok... I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say... so let me attempt to paraphrase...

You are paid an hourly wage.
When you take a delivery your employer charges you a fee to take the delivery?
I am aware of businesses charging customers a fee for delivery, is this what is happening?

And wait.. whoa... $3/hr wage? I am now a bit confused and I'll need you to clear that confusion. What State do you work in?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

Where do you work?:
Chopsticks
User Type:
Other Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Jeep
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:46 pm
I work in Tennessee, I get 3/ hour because I'm a tipped employee. They charge the delivery driver $2 per order or $5 if there's more than one order you're taking at a time. For example if I take 3 orders out the door for delivery I'll get charged a $5 fee. Thanks for the reply!

Master Driver
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Wa
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:26 pm
colsco wrote:I work in Tennessee, I get 3/ hour because I'm a tipped employee. They charge the delivery driver $2 per order or $5 if there's more than one order you're taking at a time. For example if I take 3 orders out the door for delivery I'll get charged a $5 fee. Thanks for the reply!

I am going to ask again because I want to make sure I absolutely understand...

Your employer charges YOU to take a delivery for them?

They do not charge the customer this fee, they charge you this fee?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

Where do you work?:
Chopsticks
User Type:
Other Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Jeep
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:34 pm
I'm not sure if it replaces the typical delivery fee.. I start tomorrow and I'll update you. I thought it sounded kind of crazy but maybe I misunderstood him. He doesn't speak great English.

Master Driver
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Wa
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm
colsco wrote:I'm not sure if it replaces the typical delivery fee.. I start tomorrow and I'll update you. I thought it sounded kind of crazy but maybe I misunderstood him. He doesn't speak great English.

I would think that the fee you are referring to is a fee that the customer is paying, and you might be keeping that fee yourself. I could be wrong though, please obtain clarification from your employer. If your employer does not speak English well, get the clarification in writing. If your employer will not provide the clarification... walk away.. seriously.. walk the fuck away.

If your employer charges you to take a delivery, then they are violating the law. LEt us hope that is not what is going to happen.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

n00b
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Where do you work?:
Pizza Hut
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2002 Ford Fiesta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:01 pm
Sounds like you've got it backwards to me, I get paid an hourly wage plus commission for every delivery I take (80p) That been said i'm in the Uk so could be wrong

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JacksonZWBiart and 1 guest

cron