Sharing tips

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 am
My GM is of the mindset that for "big" orders, the drivers "need to share wealth" with the cooks. He constantly pushes this by couching it in "suggestive terms" such as " Well you know I am not saying you should do this, but it WOULD BE NICE if you gave the cooks some of the that 'big' tip you got for that $200 order". Now the GM used to be a driver many years ago (most likely only for a short time until he realized management was his thing) but I feel his time as a driver was really not all that "real to him". By this I mean all he most likely did was look at the wad of cash at the end of the night and think "WOW LOOOK at all the money I made" and not think about all of the expences he DID have to pay up on.

My mindset is this: you (meaning the company/franchise) just forced a 20 - 25% paycut (we went to split pay) down MY throat (they cried poor) AND you (again the company/franchise) fail to properly compensate me for the USE of my vehicle (thus forcing me to pay for stuff out of my OWN pocket) AND you (again the company/franchise) have FROZEN my hourly wages for the foreseeable future. I EARN my tips every time. they are MINE to do with as I please and I do not see myself subsidizing someones elses income esp when I had to take a $2000 per year paycut. Sorry. My expences did NOT go down all of a sudden when we were forced to accept split pay.

the cooks on the other hand were not forced to take a paycut of any sort (yeah they did not get raises this year) but they are still making above minmum wage.

The GM KNOWS not to try and bring this up to drivers in any way shape or form but he still does.

What is the situation like at your store or with your GM/management team??
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 am
I've had insiders ask to share in the tip for big orders before too. I respond by saying "I'll start sharing my tips with you when you start sharing in paying for my car repairs."

"Next time my engine or transmission goes, each of you can chip in 10% of the bill, OK?"

I have yet for them to say a word after that let alone take me up on it.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:28 am
I will sometimes throw a few bucks their way, so I can keep happy cooks. But the only guaranteed tips that they get are the carryouts. Then whoever makes the food gets the tip.

Forcing me to split my tips, or begging for a share of the tip, will not do you any good suckers.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:23 pm
If you are on tip credit (like many of us are) and the GM wants to give some of your tips to the cooks tell him this:

"Fine, then just take it out of the stores share of the tips you ALREADY took from me!" :evil:

Rush Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Berta
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 pm
I flat out refuse to share my tips.. If they want tips, they can drive and have to foot the gas and repair bills that comes with it.
DILLIGAF
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 am
gregster wrote:I've had insiders ask to share in the tip for big orders before too. I respond by saying "I'll start sharing my tips with you when you start sharing in paying for my car repairs."

"Next time my engine or transmission goes, each of you can chip in 10% of the bill, OK?"

I have yet for them to say a word after that let alone take me up on it.

I have taught the rest of the drivers at my store to use this line on the GM or greedy cooks when this does happen.

At least I have tried to educate them (from information I have learned here and other sites and have been somewhat successful) on the aspects of tip credit, split pay, under compensaion of vehicle expenses and how drivers are generally screwed out of pay, money and respect. THough I seem to only one of a very FEW drivers who take the situation seriously. Then again I have to constantly listen to them whine about things but do nothing about it except blindly accepting their lot.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:36 pm
I tell them that when they get tip credit pay, I'll share the tips.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:09 am
DjH wrote:I tell them that when they get tip credit pay, I'll share the tips.

WORD!

n00b

Where do you work?:
Its not just pizza.
User Type:
Manager/Owner
Car you drive:
Car
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:23 am
Okay, i tell my drivers if its a big order and a big enough tip that the driver takesn 70 to 80% and divides up the other 20% to the makeline or insiders. What would you guys do if you had 80 pizzas to make the majority of drivers dont know how to make pizzas. Without your insiders you wouldnt have a job. Drivers dont make the pizzas. They just driver there car, if you dont want the wear and tear on your car the. Get a different job. We make pizzas for a living dude, you drive. I dont think you deserve a 50dollar tip on 140pizzas we made, we took the order for,and we packaged just for you to driver your lil car down the street to make more then we do when we worked way harder on getting it to the customers. Ill argue this all day. Not every tip needs to be split but those BIG BIG orders that gave us insiders and manager heart attacks for 7hrs. My store makes nearly 3000to5000 dollars a day. Our recorded week is 38,000 dollars. we work hard we should get a cut of the tip if not a cut of the total amount the store earns. Team work makes the dream work.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:20 pm
Ok, prior to the first thing... I am fairly blunt, so you need to be aware of that from the beginning. NOw...

Ok, first, be aware that you will take some heat because you are not a driver. Second, you will take some heat because you are not a tipped employee. Thirdly, you will take some heat because you are management.

rai9615 wrote:Okay, i tell my drivers if its a big order and a big enough tip that the driver takesn 70 to 80% and divides up the other 20% to the makeline or insiders.

You don't get to make this decision, legally, unless you have a valid tip pool arrangement. It would not be a valid tip pool if you, and your insiders, are not already classified as tipped employees. It would also not be a valid tip pool if you, and your inside employees, do not claim those tips with the IRS. Effectively, if you do not have a valid tip pool, you are stealing the property of the tipped employee, the driver. That's is called theft.

rai9615 wrote: What would you guys do if you had 80 pizzas to make the majority of drivers dont know how to make pizzas.

I would not be in that situation, since I know how to make pizzas. I would also not be in that situation because I am expected to make pizza, and I do make pizzas. If you, as the manager/owner, fail to train your employees, that is your problem. If you are paying your drivers via a form of tip credit, and then expect them to make the pizza, a non tip earning duty, and you pay the driver the tip credit hourly wage for the time the driver is making pizza, you are violating the spirit, if not the letter, of the law.

rai9615 wrote: Without your insiders you wouldnt have a job.

Without delivery drivers you would, most likely, not have a business.

rai9615 wrote: Drivers dont make the pizzas.

They can. If YOU do your job correctly, and in accordance with the law, you can expect the delivery drivers to make pizza. You'd just be expected to pay them at the higher, non tip credit, wage during the time they were making pizza.

rai9615 wrote:They just driver there car, if you dont want the wear and tear on your car the. Get a different job.

If you don't want to make pizza, then you should get a different job. I would guess that you are paid more than minimum wage for each hour you work, right? How much do you pay the drivers as reimbursement for them using their personal vehicles for your benefit? Maybe you should look at opening a different business where you don't have to abide by the law?

rai9615 wrote: We make pizzas for a living dude, you drive.

I do both. Many delivery drivers do both. Whether the driver is expected to do both, or not, depends on the conditions that you, the employer, creates.

rai9615 wrote:I dont think you deserve a 50dollar tip on 140pizzas we made,

Luckily for the delivery drivers, what you think does not necessarily matter. What matters is what the law allows.

Maybe YOU should have taken the delivery. Stop whining if you're not willing to do all the work. The law says the tip is the driver's. If you don't like it you can violate the law, and then pay the consequences when/if an educated delivery drivers takes you to task; possibly obtaining double damages (or more) for the amount you stole from them, or putting you out of business because you refuse to obey the law.

rai9615 wrote: I dont think you deserve a 50dollar tip on 140pizzas we made, we took the order for,and we packaged just for you to driver your lil car down the street to make more then we do when we worked way harder on getting it to the customers.

Maybe you, and your in store staff, should have saved up their own money to purchase a car, pay for all the upkeep, including insurance; so YOU could take the delivery.

I also really enjoy your attempt at belittling the effort it takes to do our job. /s
Delivery drivers are more likely to be murdered than in store staff.
Delivery drivers are more likely to be assaulted than in store staff.
Delivery drivers are more likely to be robbed than in store staff.

We earn those tips.

rai9615 wrote:Ill argue this all day.

And if you argue this position here, you'll be lambasted for your position.

rai9615 wrote: Not every tip needs to be split but those BIG BIG orders that gave us insiders and manager heart attacks for 7hrs.

Maybe you should look for a different job if you don't like the conditions?

rai9615 wrote: My store makes nearly 3000to5000 dollars a day. Our recorded week is 38,000 dollars.

Good for you. Sounds like a healthy business to me. How much of that do you pay to the delivery driver per hour? Is it more than, equal to, or less than minimum wage (tips do not count)?

rai9615 wrote: we work hard we should get a cut of the tip

Yes, you worked hard; or you should have. No, you should not receive a cut of the tip. You are not a tipped employee that is paid less than minimum wage.

rai9615 wrote:if not a cut of the total amount the store earns.

This is what you should be fighting for, a portion of the store's earnings of that large order; not trying to steal from the delivery driver.

rai9615 wrote:Team work makes the dream work.

Yes, it does. Now do your part and obey the law, stop stealing from your delivery drivers.

Edit: shit, you almost made me late for the movies!! LOL
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Next

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts