CONFIRMED! Domino's is CUTTING drivers wages!

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.

Shift Manager
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
91 toyota celica
90 toyota 4x4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm
We are made to report 6% of our total bills in tips, no matter what we make. We routinely take orders to churches and schools that resell the pizza, that don't tip a dime. How does it feel having to claim 6% on $200 worth of pizza, and pay the tax on that? :evil: , and add that ontop of making tipped wages while you are in the store making no tips, pricless....

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm
scorp wrote:We are made to report 6% of our total bills in tips, no matter what we make. We routinely take orders to churches and schools that resell the pizza, that don't tip a dime. How does it feel having to claim 6% on $200 worth of pizza, and pay the tax on that? :evil: , and add that ontop of making tipped wages while you are in the store making no tips, pricless....

How are you made to report the 6%? Is this policy in writing? If it is, get a copy of it. If it's not in writing, ignore it and just post your actual tips. Follow the law, not a company policy; in the end following the law will protect you more than following a policy meant to protect your employer.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm
elric92 wrote:
scorp wrote:We are made to report 6% of our total bills in tips, no matter what we make. We routinely take orders to churches and schools that resell the pizza, that don't tip a dime. How does it feel having to claim 6% on $200 worth of pizza, and pay the tax on that? :evil: , and add that ontop of making tipped wages while you are in the store making no tips, pricless....

How are you made to report the 6%? Is this policy in writing? If it is, get a copy of it. If it's not in writing, ignore it and just post your actual tips. Follow the law, not a company policy; in the end following the law will protect you more than following a policy meant to protect your employer.

Reporting tips at my store (Papa John's) is entirely the responsibility and liability of the employee. I forgot exactly where I read it, but I do recall it being in the paperwork that I had to fill out when I was hired. I don't know why a company would require you to report 6% of your total bills. You should definitely talk to a manager about it.

Shift Manager
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
91 toyota celica
90 toyota 4x4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm
Its part of the company policy, and in the employee agreement. It states claiming low to zero tips is a sign you are giving terrible service and will be grounds for termination..lol. Although in the past, they never required us to claim anything on our checks and I claimed my tips at the end of the year, it was always easier that way. They do things at out company to keep their noses clean, like use gas buddy.com every month to figure our mileage, based on the price of gas. The formula never adds up though, because when gas went up 1.25 a gallon our mileage only went up by .5 a mile. They also raised the delivery charge .50 when gas went over $3.00 a gallon. They make you sign that too, when you are hired, making it seem that you agreed to the amount they chose, but the amount is never disclosed to us before we drive, and we are never told or given a written statement.(I even asked for my mileage report last year, and was denied). So in reality, I could clock in and mileage may have dropped to .2 a mile, ( and i could drive 80 miles and not know my entire shift)and my employer would say, you agreed to let us change the mileage every month based on our calculations, and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it in their eyes.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 pm
scorp wrote: and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it in their eyes.

Yes, there is something you can about it. Keep track of your true mileage and expenses, then slap them with a lawsuit if you're able too. You have 3 years to file a wage dispute, if you take 1 years worth of true mileage and true expense calculations, you can use those numbers to justify the same for the previous two years. Or if you get an attorney they can contact the expert witness used in all the mileage reimbursement lawsuits, since your employer will be using the only other expert in the business.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:23 am
scorp wrote:Its part of the company policy, and in the employee agreement. It states claiming low to zero tips is a sign you are giving terrible service and will be grounds for termination..lol.

Sorry Federal law ALWAYS trumps company policy or an "employment contract or agreement". but in this case, accepted contract law principles apply ie. parts or clauses of a contract or agreement may be declared null, void, or illegal and therefore be unenforceable whilst the rest of the contract is enforceable.

I will NEVER allow my company to dictate how much in tips I claim.

Several GMs ago tried that very same thing with us. HE issued a store memo ( we suspect without going through or getting approval from the Franchise HR) stating that ANY tipped employee claiming less than 12% tips on average (same reason your manager gave ie. an assumed indication of poor service)would be progressively disciplined with write-ups and loss of hours up to and including termination.

They do things at out company to keep their noses clean, like use gas buddy.com every month to figure our mileage, based on the price of gas.
The formula never adds up though, because when gas went up 1.25 a gallon our mileage only went up by .5 a mile. They also raised the delivery charge .50 when gas went over $3.00 a gallon. They make you sign that too, when you are hired, making it seem that you agreed to the amount they chose, but the amount is never disclosed to us before we drive, and we are never told or given a written statement.(I even asked for my mileage report last year, and was denied). So in reality, I could clock in and mileage may have dropped to .2 a mile, ( and i could drive 80 miles and not know my entire shift)and my employer would say, you agreed to let us change the mileage every month based on our calculations, and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it in their eyes.

Do you mean your miles driven OR your mileage reimbursement?

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 am
Racket_Man wrote:Sorry Federal law ALWAYS trumps company policy or an "employment contract or agreement".

+1
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 pm
Paid2listen2music wrote:
Racket_Man wrote:Sorry Federal law ALWAYS trumps company policy or an "employment contract or agreement".

+1

Federal wage laws are 'statutory' which means you cannot lawfully violate them, even if you agree to verbally or in writing. Just the same way that 'statutory rape' is illegal, even with 'consent'.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

n00b

Where do you work?:
Domino's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Compact
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 pm
Moderator Edit:

I am removing the contents of this duplicate post and will address your issue in the other post you made here.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Dominoes
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
compact
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:38 am
So far ours is the same.
PreviousNext

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts