CONFIRMED! Domino's is CUTTING drivers wages!

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:07 am
Rumors are that Domino's Corporate stores are the next of the big3 pizza chains to be cutting driver pay to "tip credit" like waitresses get paid. (less than minimum wage) If this is true, these things happen very quickly so that drivers have no chance to organize and fight the pay cut.

If you have heard this rumor about the impending pay cut please post about it here.

Key words to listen for at work are "split pay" "tip credit" and any mention about important changes coming soon that no one is allowed to talk about. If workers are ever told that they may not discuss pay or any union organizing, that's a good sign that management it trying to prevent workers from communication that may slow or stop the effort.

It is against federal law to forbid workers to talk about pay and work conditions. Read about that here:
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

dough slapper

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm
Their drivers aren't smart enough to organize and stop this wage decline.

They're a bunch of scared pussies who don't have the balls to stand up to the boss.

They deserve to make as little as the company can get away with paying them, because they're a bunch of bitches driving for half wages.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 pm
CONFIRMED: Dominos corporate cutting drivers wages, going "tip credit"

From: https://dominos.taleo.net/careersection ... tl?lang=en
(Search for key words "tip credit")

Job Description

Tip Credit Administrative Assistant(Job Number: O-Tip Credit AZ)

Description

Provide support to the market for the tip credit process and other assigned work
· Work in conjunction with store operations in a positive manner
· Process daily service exceptions for driver dispatches
· Resolve and document daily service exceptions
· Troubleshoot tip credit issues as necessary
· Answer phones and answer basic questions
· Support staff in assigned project based work
· Occasional store visits with Director of Corporate Operations or Human Resources Coach
· Other duties as assigned
· Provide management with status reports on various tasks

Qualifications

· Basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills required.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office & Excel
· Clerical experience
· Excellent professional verbal and written communication skills
· Must be able to maintain confidentiality and present professionalism
· Ability to problem solve with minimal supervision
· Ability to handle bulk data entry requirements· Ability to lift 25 lbs
· Experience with PeopleSoft HCM a plus

Tip Credit Administrative Assistant
Part-time
USA-AZ-Phoenix
- Job Number O-Tip Credit AZ
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Part-time
USA-FL-Ft Lauderdale
- Job Number O-Tip Credit FL
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Part-time
USA-MD-Baltimore
- Job Number O - Tip Credit MD
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Part-time
USA-VA-Chesapeake
- Job Number O-Tip Credit VA
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Part-time
USA-TX-Houston
- Job Number O-Tip Credit TX
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

Part-time
USA-UT-Salt Lake City
- Job Number O-Tip Credit UT
Apply
|Add to My Job Cart

From: http://jobsearch.monster.com/PowerSearc ... iles&tm=60

Domino's PizzaAtlanta, GA, 30096
Posted on 01/06 (Jan 6th 2010)

It is apparent that dominos corporate is planning on cutting drivers wages BELOW MINIMUM WAGE in Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Utah, and Arizona. All of these job listings were posted since January, most of them in the past two weeks. I expect that the pay cuts will be coming in the next month or two. Drivers should be listening for managers secretively talking about a 'big meeting coming up that is mandatory for all drivers' or some changes coming up that they are not allowed to talk about. Managers may become hypersensitive about anyone mentioning the word "UNION" and may be hypercritical of anyone complaining about mileage or pay issues. Look for a renewed effort at posting all of the posters required about minimum wage and workers legal rights. (These posters which are required by law generally get forgotten about and fall down until a store is worried about workers making legal complaints.)

In general you will notice a quiet tension building with managers who know of the upcoming pay cuts and are very worried about how workers will take the news. Managers who were friendly and conversational will suddenly become more businesslike and avoid eye contact and friendly chit chat. Any driver who is keenly aware of things in their store will easily be aware that some big change is about to happen.

If you don't organize and start a union right now, you will be totally powerless to do anything to stop the changes.

Papa Johns was the first to start Tip Credit at corporate stores. No one was willing to join in unionizing efforts to stop it. It is now a cancer spreading through corporate and franchise stores alike.

Dominos corporate store are next. The transformation has already begun. Will anyone rise up and stop them? Past experience tells me: NO.

Pizza Hut will not be far behind. As soon as they see that the other two in the "Big 3" have successfully cut wages and no one did anything to stop them. it will be a "No Brainer" for them to save millions in labor costs by having drivers tips subsidize their bottom line.

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm
It is true.They are ready in Utah.What is going on with the two unions.AUPDD and AUDD?
Are they gone? How do we organize?Can we do anything in Utah to prevent this? What about Teamsters,are they too big to represent the drivers?I would imagine if they are loosing members from other industries due to plant closures,they may be interesting representing us,a? I prefer to pay union dues,than to pay " Partners" at Domino's. At least someone will be on the drivers side? What do we do? Please advice.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm
Welcome to the board tedi6.

There are currently no active delivery drivers unions. The ones you mentioned or now defunct and disbanded. The teamsters have long ago rejected helping delivery drivers organize. Nothing is stopping you from forming one on your own. To do so you need to file some paperwork with the NLRB and then have a union vote at your store and get at least 50% +1 person to vote in a union who can elect a leader and then bargain for you all collectively. It is likely too late for a new union to stop the pay cut that is already in the works, but over time you may be able to gain in other ways such as working conditions, benefits, etc. If you want me to put you in contact with people who have done this before to give you further advice, I can do that. You however will have to do the work yourself.

No matter what you decide to do, you should read all of the legal and union and minimum wage/tip credit info I have posted here. Get smart about what the law says and demand compliance with existing laws. Encourage as many drivers as you can to also read and learn about their rights under the law so that you can all stand firm against anyone trying to shortchange you any further than they already plan to.

You can contact the newspapers and TV stations and tell them that a large company is about to drastically cut the pay of thousands of people in your state and see if you can get them to cover the story. Maybe the bad press can put pressure on the company to slow, reduce or cancel they pay cut. I got my local news to cover it when it happened at my store. It didn't help, but it was nice to see them squirm and lie on camera about their intentions. It also gets other employees to realize that what is happening IS a big issue and they SHOULD be mad about it and fight it.

That's Steven Savage in the video. He offered to help me attempt to unionize my store. We were not successful because of illegal tactics such as the company telling employees that they world be fired if they discussed pay issues with anyone but management. That made everyone afraid to talk about unionizing because pay was the biggest reason why!

So what do you know so far? What is the new pay plan? When does it take effect? Will senior drivers keep their present pay while only new hires get screwed? Is management already using illegal tactics to prevent employees from discussing the issues and organizing?

Papa John's was the first to go "tip credit" at their corporate stores. Now Dominos is second. Pizza Hut won't be far behind unless someone can organize a union and stop them BEFORE they do it.

I wish you the best of luck. Get mad. Get smart and Get Organized to fight. Maybe if they thought unions would start to pop up in every store, they'd change their mind!

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm
The manager talk to me , and he expect changes by the end of the year. He said that they are testing it on "couple of markets"-which is a lie. Why they would hire credit-tip adjustors in 6 states if that was the case? It would affect only newhires,which is another lie. Why ,if you are a manager who watches his bottom line, would give you more hours if he can pick from a pool of new drivers at much lower pay? Second ,I dont think they can implement dual system-it is more costly to do that. I talk to president of Teamsters union local2?? and he said that they are not interested, but to talk to their union organizer. Utah is realy tough on Unions. If we can convince one of the big unions that would be my best bet. Noone will "jump on the train" that is been build as we go. I was hoping that the big unions as they are loosing members from manufacturing would want to add to their bottom line from service sector employees. I know that our pay is not comperable but we can probably afford the union dues, if we dont pay partners. Some of my coleagues are mad ,but not that mad to start a Union-this is the harsh reality.They are willing to move on and find a diferent job, thant will pay more, but not to start a Union. Monday or Tuesday I will call the Union organizar and thalk to him as well.

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
dodge ram 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm
I live in North Alabama and work as a delivery driver for a Domino's franchise that has seven stores. Our wages have been cut, but in a different way. Now we are paid minimum wage for the time we are in the store and $5.25 for the time we are "on the road." I haven't noticed any big change in my paycheck, buy I only work part-time (3 days a week). Some of the other drivers who work more have noticed the difference. When you add in the fact that they have cut almost all the drivers to less than 30 hours a week, it has really hurt some of them. Also, I don't know about other areas, but the stores in our franchise have gone from about 25% carryout to over 50%. Guess who they expect to take up the slack. If you guessed the drivers, you are right! I don't know what the other chains in our area are doing about wages. There are no corporate stores here, it's all franchise stores. Also, none of the jobs listed were in Atlanta, but I don't know of any corporate stores in the Atlanta region. That may be why.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 am
Welcome to the board motherteresa!

I'm sorry to hear about your pay cut. Do you know of any other stores besides the ones you mentioned cutting pay? Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more wide spread.

Because your pay goes down when you are clocked out on a run, make damn sure that they never cheat your pay by clocking you out before you actually leave the store!

Again, welcome! I look forward to seeing your posts here!

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
dodge ram 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 pm
Thanks for the welcome Gregster. It's funny you should mention them routing them before you actually leave the store. They are so fanatical about the OTD time nowadays! They clear orders from the screen before they're made to keep the make times down and expect you to route before the order "goes red." (If you work for Domino's, you know how the Pulse system works) It doesn't matter if the order is ready or not. What happens a lot is that they will forget to make part of the order, so the driver is stuck standing there waiting for something to come out instead of taking runs that are sitting on the heat rack ready to go. I personally blame the "You Got 30 Minutes" crap they came out with in the last few years. They say it's not a guarantee, but the customers don't really understand that. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all for speed in the store, but this is not the way to go about it. I was in management with them for 20 years until I quit because I saw what was happening to the company after Tom Monaghan sold it to Bain Capital. The only reasons I drive for them now is it gets me out of the house and away from the 4-year old for a few hours, I make really good tips and the extra cash helps out, and I can pretty much work as much or as little as I want or around anything I need to do. When I started with them, we had a 30 minute guarantee. If you are too young to remember it, be happy! It was a nightmare and I think the best thing they ever did was to get rid of it. As a former manager, I think I have a pretty good insight into what makes them tick. The company's emphasis on make times and OTD times don't leave much room for focusing on what made Domino's the company that all those who have come along since copy. At one time, the focus was on making perfect pizzas and taking care of your customers and employees. Sadly, that focus has been shifted by the new owners and I think the company as a whole has suffered because of it. It's going to be interesting to see what changes the future brings when the customers and employees have had enough. The new president should probably start polishing off his resume!

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Pontiac
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:21 am
Consider yourself lucky, motherteresa. I'm a Dominos delivery driver in Kentucky and we don't get minimum wage for the time we're in the store. We make a flat rate (below minimum wage) from the time we clock in till the time we clock out. We're also forced to coupon or "door hang" for the same pay and even if we come in as an insider, and clock in as an insider, on our paychecks, we still make the same as we would as a delivery driver.

Over the winter, a few of the drivers got stranded in another town, while on delivery, due to a strong snow storm and the owner of our store was calling and trying to get the insiders to go deliver. Not to mention we're told to keep delivering even if brake lights, head lights, tail lights, etc. go out.

The franchise owner is extremely shady and I'd complain to someone higher up than him if I could find such an email address or phone number on the Dominos website.
Next

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts