Wow...possible new tip credit push?

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 pm
http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2014/09/16/marriott-drops-a-hint-please-tip-the-maid/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=email-2014-09-17&utm_medium=email

Wonder if this is a sneaky way to try to get hotel maids listed as a "tipped" profession?
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 pm
From the link in the above post:

Marriott Drops a Hint: Please Tip the Maid

By Krystal Steinmetz on September 16, 2014

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2014/09/1 ... dium=email

The next time you stay at a Marriott-branded hotel, your room will have a new addition – a simple white envelope encouraging you to tip the person who cleans your room.

It’s part of a new initiative called The Envelope Please, a partnership between Marriott and A Woman’s Nation, a nonprofit organization aimed at recognizing the value of women. According to a press release, A Woman’s Nation founder Maria Shriver said the idea for the campaign was the result of conversations she had with hotel maids. Shriver said:

They told me that room attendants, who are often the primary breadwinner for their families, are often forgotten when it comes to tipping, unlike other front-of-house employ­ees, since most travelers don’t see them face-to-face. I hope this gratitude initiative will make these women feel seen and validated.

Michael Lynn, a professor at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration, told The Associated Press that only 70 percent of hotel guests leave a gratuity for the maid.

If you don’t know how much to tip, PBS said to follow this advice:

In its gratuity guide, the American Hotel and Lodging Association recommends leaving between $1 and $5 per night. Tips should be left daily rather than at checkout, to ensure the person cleaning the room each day receives the money. Money should be left in a marked envelope, or with a note.

tompace wrote:Wonder if this is a sneaky way to try to get hotel maids listed as a "tipped" profession?

I doubt it. The article says that 70% of people already tip, so if they wanted to pay tip credit, they probably could already.

I think encouraging people to tip is a good thing! I never knew you were supposed to tip the maids until I read it in a tipping guide. I have spent hundreds of nights in hotel rooms over the years. Only in the last ten years was I aware that they should be tipped and how to do it. I tip from 3-5 a day based on the service.

How many of you didn't know you were supposed to tip the maids? :oops:
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 pm
gregster wrote:How many of you didn't know you were supposed to tip the maids? :oops:

Not until this moment. I did tip a couple times last year when I was up in Canada for a week, but that was because I had made what I considered a mess. I think a total of 10 CAD. I know better now though!!
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am
gregster wrote:I doubt it. The article says that 70% of people already tip, so if they wanted to pay tip credit, they probably could already.

Exactly my point. They already receive tips AND get paid much higher than min wage...therefore the hotel chains could be pushing to claim this as a tipped job, thus reducing how much they will have to pay their maids...or rather that is what I was implying

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts