Notice of Cash Tip Claiming

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.

makeline/cook

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2003 Saturn VUE V6 AWD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:16 pm

About half of the store got these with our last checks. Make sure of what you are reporting. Habitual under reporting will get you fired.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:45 pm
aportman wrote:Image

About half of the store got these with our last checks. Make sure of what you are reporting. Habitual under reporting will get you fired.

I know it sucks having to report all your tips... damn the tax man... but it is required by law. If you do not report your cash tips you, and your employer, can get into trouble with the IRS. And this illustrates that an employer may terminate for violating their company policies.

Report your tips.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:37 am
I report my cash tips. It has directly helped me twice so far: First time when I was hit by a drunk driver and was out of work for three weeks. Since I was reporting all of my tips I had my entire lost weekly income replaced by my AWESOME (USAA) insurance company! They sent me $400 a week each week to cover my lost wages and tips. (I only worked 15-20 hours a week at the time.)

The second time was when I did a 'cash out refinance' of my home. By reporting my tip income I qualified to get a bigger loan than I would have otherwise.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:09 pm
gregster wrote:I report my cash tips. It has directly helped me twice so far: First time when I was hit by a drunk driver and was out of work for three weeks. Since I was reporting all of my tips I had my entire lost weekly income replaced by my AWESOME (USAA) insurance company! They sent me $400 a week each week to cover my lost wages and tips. (I only worked 15-20 hours a week at the time.)

The second time was when I did a 'cash out refinance' of my home. By reporting my tip income I qualified to get a bigger loan than I would have otherwise.

This right here is why I also report 100% of my tips.

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts