CONFIRMED! Pizza Hut IS cutting drivers wages!

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm
It's happening at Pizza Hut too starting in September. I got suspicious when I heard about mandatory meetings with the drivers and management stated that they weren't allowed to say what the meetings are about. Fourtunately, someone who wasn't supposed to know and wasn't supposed to pass it along- did anyway. With the economy the way it is, everyone's hours have been cut and the tips have already suffered. This is a heartless blow and I'd love to give ownership a piece of my mind. I might too... if I'm around long enough to make it to the meeting.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:17 pm
tellthetruth wrote:It's happening at Pizza Hut too starting in September. I got suspicious when I heard about mandatory meetings with the drivers and management stated that they weren't allowed to say what the meetings are about. Fourtunately, someone who wasn't supposed to know and wasn't supposed to pass it along- did anyway. With the economy the way it is, everyone's hours have been cut and the tips have already suffered. This is a heartless blow and I'd love to give ownership a piece of my mind. I might too... if I'm around long enough to make it to the meeting.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you say if it is a corporate or a franchised store and which state it is in? That would really help me inform other drivers about the looming pay cut.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:47 am
It's a franchise store in Arizona. Actually, it's like 28 stores in the Phoenix market. Same ownership has stores in other states too but not sure which ones. Our "meetings" are happening on Friday. I tried to warn several coworkers, but these meetings are cutting it too close to make a difference. They want us to have zero warning so we don't find other employment first. They are even having the meetings at a coffee shop nearby so incase any of us make a scene...well it's not in front of the customers atleast. I imagine they will have us sign something agreeing to the pay cut or be terminated on the spot. I don't know why this isn't illegal.

Also, if a large owner of franchises is doing this now, corporate is soon to follow. I would reccomend all pizza hut drivers start looking for a better job.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 pm
Thanks for the update. I went thru the same thing with a Papa John's franchise when they cut our pay at the same time minimum wage went up.

Can you tell me the name of the franchise? That way I can look it up and see how many stores and in what states they operate. I can post warnings in those states for other drivers to see and give them a heads up.

Papa John's corporate was the first of the big3 to begin to cut wages nationwide a couple years ago. Domino's corporate stores were next to follow. Many franchises from both chains are also following suit. We are all waiting to hear when Pizza Hut corporate stores will join the suck fest. :roll:

You mentioned 'how could this be legal'. Well, unfortunately, tip-credit wages are legal in most states. What tip credit means is that your employer can use you tips to count as part of your wages. I suggest the you read the following sections for more useful info:

Tip Credit

Minimum Wage/Mileage Reimbursement

If you guys have to pay for any of your own uniform items now (shirts, hats, jackets) then under tip credit it would be illegal to make you pay for them.

Also, under tip credit, it is imperative that your mileage actually cover all of your car expenses, not just gas. Read more about that here:

Lawsuits against DP, PH, PJ

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:15 pm
Thanks for the legal info, but I'm planning on finding a different job. I'll pass it along to my coworkers though. The franchise is called BBH Foods.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm
Best of luck to you! I hope you come back and let us know how things go with the new job.

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 am
I just wanted to confirm for eveyrone that pizza hut is going to this style of pay. I work for a pizza hut location and all drivers hired after january 5th are payed 4.25 when they are on the road and minimum wage when in the store. Oh, and also i wanted to let everyone know that you can unionize your drivers seperately from the rest of the employees according to a department of labor ruling.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm
syndicalist wrote:I just wanted to confirm for eveyrone that pizza hut is going to this style of pay. I work for a pizza hut location and all drivers hired after january 5th are payed 4.25 when they are on the road and minimum wage when in the store. Oh, and also i wanted to let everyone know that you can unionize your drivers seperately from the rest of the employees according to a department of labor ruling.

I have several reports that everything you said is true. Do you know if anyone is actively exploring a unionizing effort? If they need help, I can put them in contact with trusted people that can give sound and helpful advice.

What is the mood of the drivers during this? How many are leaving/staying?

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1992 Toyota MR2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 am
Hmm... this is good news.... I'm sure it won't take long for Pizza Hut corporate to cut all drivers pay nation wide. I'm going to talk to my area coach and see what the deal is. I just hope it's put off until spring, when I start my detailing business ;)

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Focus
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:59 am
Pizza Hut in St. Louis has cut the pay of all new hire drivers and waiters, as of the first of the year.
Next

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts