CONFIRMED! Pizza Hut IS cutting drivers wages!

Tip Credit is a federal law that allows employers to take a 'credit' against the minimum wage, and pay lower wages to employees who earn tips.

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
yes 06 ford focus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 pm
well i just got here as well last week they started pay cut here in april with one week notice ive posted here and at this site here so maybe this will answer your question http://www.ripoffreport.com/employment- ... -727d7.htm there are some answeres there i think ...

n00b

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Chevrolet Cobalt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 am
I drive for a PizzaHut franchise that seems to be doing something new.
1. As of June 1, 2011, the computer no longer logs reported tips.
2. They are engineering a tip driver pay (meaning when driver is on delivery) and a driver production pay for when the driver comes back into the store from delivery. This is new and so far they have not actually changed the 2 pay scales.

If anyone has had similar experience I would appreciate any insight.

In all fairness I like the store I am delivering for and they have been fair (cept for some secuity issues like "new callers" follow up and not having caller ID in the store. Employees chosen as managers have no experience in delivery and are blank on real safety issues. I have taken upon myself to have cell phone on with manager listening silently in background until I leave a particular spot. I don't know that the man at the top of the pyramid would approve of this ... fortunately we don't have to ask. I have gone so far as to have a second employee in car talking to police dispatcher while I approached the delivery. I have no doubt that when the car pulled up in the street and blocked my car to the curb, they seeing the person talking on cell phone changed their minds.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 am
Markit2011 wrote:I drive for a PizzaHut franchise that seems to be doing something new.
2. They are engineering a tip driver pay (meaning when driver is on delivery) and a driver production pay for when the driver comes back into the store from delivery. This is new and so far they have not actually changed the 2 pay scales.

When Minimum wage went up a few years ago, my pay at Papa John's was cut to a tip credit wage of $4 per hour. I was making above minimum wage at the time.

The vast majority of 'big 3' stores Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's that have changed to "tip credit" pay since then have adopted the "split pay" system of paying full minimum wage in the store, and a lower (typically between 4 and 5 and hour) wage while on the road. This allows them to avoid any "20% rule" violations while cutting wages for the vast majority of drivers time.

When they cut my pay it prompted me to investigate what laws covered our pay and what could be done about it. That's when I found out that making drivers pay for vehicle expenses out of their pocket was likely a violation of minimum wage (FLSA) laws. When I found out that no one was making lawsuits about the issue, I began an all out information blitz informing everyone I could think of ...

Now there are nationwide lawsuits about the issue!
Now I have the site for myself to educate as many others as possible.

Please invite as many other delivery drivers as possible here and encourage them too to educate and protect themselves from all that would do us harm.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 am
Markit2011 wrote:I drive for a PizzaHut franchise that seems to be doing something new.

When Minimum wage went up a few years ago, my pay at Papa John's was cut to a tip credit wage of $4 per hour. I was making above minimum wage at the time.

The vast majority of 'big 3' stores Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's that have changed to "tip credit" pay since then have adopted the "split pay" system of paying full minimum wage in the store, and a lower (typically between 4 and 5 and hour) wage while on the road. This allows them to avoid any "20% rule" violations while cutting wages for the vast majority of drivers time.

When they cut my pay it prompted me to investigate what laws covered our pay and what could be done about it. That's when I found out that making drivers pay for vehicle expenses out of their pocket was likely a violation of minimum wage (FLSA) laws. When I found out that no one was making lawsuits about the issue, I began an all out information blitz informing everyone I could think of ...

Now there are nationwide lawsuits about the issue!
Now I have the site for myself to educate as many others as possible.

Please invite as many other delivery drivers as possible here and encourage them too to educate and protect themselves from all that would do us harm.

Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am
PH hasn't cut our pay here in NM yet, but at least in my store they've cut our hours ALOT.

I used to get from 20-30 a week, now I'm lucky to get 13 hours.

Edited to add:

Also, our PH store here has stopped carrying Parmesan cheese packets for our customers, which has ticked a few off and affected our tips and business. Anybody else or are we the only store this is being done at?
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
makeline/cook

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
07 Honda Fit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 am
DjH wrote:PH hasn't cut our pay here in NM yet, but at least in my store they've cut our hours ALOT.

I used to get from 20-30 a week, now I'm lucky to get 13 hours.

Edited to add:

Also, our PH store here has stopped carrying Parmesan cheese packets for our customers, which has ticked a few off and affected our tips and business. Anybody else or are we the only store this is being done at?

We have parm and peppers in 2oz cups for SALE. Customers hate it. If they actually pay for it, I always grab them an extra of each and tell them they're getting ripped off.

We were on that pay cut when you're out of the store thing when I was hired back in October, but somebody told me a few weeks ago that they stopped doing it. We do still have to enter our cash tips when we clock out at the end of the night. I always make some random number up. It's probably the address of the last place I went LOL.

Have you had the lovely change to the Call Center yet? No more phone answering in the store! WOOHOO! However, the "call center" is apparently a collection of morons. They mess up a lot. And getting back in touch with the store while you're out on a delivery is next to impossible now. There's supposed to be a direct line, but it's not working yet. Thanks for the halfway setting it up people. It was probably the ass who made me shave that did it, right? :)
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 am
Call center? *shudder* do you actually mean a remote place where orders get called in to and then they send the orders to your store? that's a bit scary there.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:04 am
My PH franchise went split wage in July 2011. from what I heard most of PH (franchise and corp) is going this way
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 am
bander68 wrote:
DjH wrote:Have you had the lovely change to the Call Center yet? No more phone answering in the store! WOOHOO! However, the "call center" is apparently a collection of morons. They mess up a lot. And getting back in touch with the store while you're out on a delivery is next to impossible now. There's supposed to be a direct line, but it's not working yet. Thanks for the halfway setting it up people. It was probably the ass who made me shave that did it, right? :)

my PH Franchise (not NPC) did an experiment a little over a year ago where several stores in my area got put on "all call center" ALL the time for 2 months. yes that did mean we did not have to answer the phone. that WAS the only upside. the downside was VERY angry customers AND employees/store management.

First the customers
1. Many many many messed up orders -- we literally had a stack at the end of EVERY night to give to corp to "prove" this "experiment" was bogus.
2. VERY pushy CSRs --- very heavy suggestive selling and not taking NO for an answer AND the "CSRs" were NOT familiar with our product line (as in they could not describe nor give an ingrediant list for a product).
3. The call center did NOT follow our local policies such as no checks, $50 or $100 bills
4a. Orders with product (such as soup or salad) put into an general ticket instruction/informastion field thus the product would not be made in a timely manner AND the product would not be charged for on the ticket total
OR
4b. Specific instructions for a product were placed in not with the product itself but on the general information field thus the product was made or prepared incorrectly.
5. VERY inaccurate delivery times were quoted (see below for part of the problem)
6. Addresses and phone numbers were taken that were inaccurate. NO instructions for specific doors, apt numbers, or delivery location such as "Go to backyard", or "Side door in back" were put on the ticket in many instances.

Now for the other side: us in the store
1. Incoming wrong orders = bad service means low to no tips for delivery orders
2. Inaccurate delivery times because we could not immediately guage our level of business. for example: all of a "sudden" we would get 6 or 8 order and the quoted delivery time was still set at 30 minutes. if those orders were a mix that could not be doubled or tripled we missed our DST time.
3. Angry customer phone calls (passed through to us from the call center) about messed up orders that reflected on US (the store/company) not the call center.
4. messed up addresses, phone number and orders cost us more food cost and labor because of remakes, "mistakes", missing items and lost time trying to "find" a delivery location or person.

the "experiment" was still deemed a "success" by upper management but stopped after 2 months

We still have an overflow into the call center if all of our incoming lines are full and the exact same problems crop up.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:36 am
I have yet to hear from a driver that call centers were a good thing. Another great post RM!

Previous

Return to Tip Credit / Pay Cuts