Driver Trainee
Where do you work?:
Domino's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
'94 Honda Accord
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am
$3.72/gal. tonight here in FL. It seems like it goes up about a nickel a day now :(
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 am
Does anybody here know how much they are paid per mile? It one thing to bitch about not being paid enough, but if you have no idea what it even costs you... :oops: :?:

If you have no idea how to figure that out, just ask. It's pretty easy to figure out.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Driver Trainee
Where do you work?:
Domino's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
'94 Honda Accord
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 am
gregster wrote:Does anybody here know how much they are paid per mile? It one thing to bitch about not being paid enough, but if you have no idea what it even costs you... :oops: :?:

I'm pretty sure this is one of those instances where (in my case at least) ignorance is bliss, I guess?
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 am
DjH wrote:
PD2 wrote:Paid $3.99 a gallon, but of course that is 91 octane gas. My pizza car will not run on anything less than 91 octane without knocking or stalling out.

Turbo or High Compression?

Neither. I don't know why it won't run on lower gas. All it is is a Corolla/Camry engine. The last time I ran 87 in it, one of the sensors went out in it and it cost me a fortune to get it fixed. The mechanic told me I need to run a higher grade of gas in it.

It will run on 89 , but it is so sluggish and knocks all the time.

TG my focus will run on the cheaper gas.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:32 am
PD2 wrote:Neither. I don't know why it won't run on lower gas. All it is is a Corolla/Camry engine. The last time I ran 87 in it, one of the sensors went out in it and it cost me a fortune to get it fixed. The mechanic told me I need to run a higher grade of gas in it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Could be high compression due to carbon buildup on the pistons. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:30 pm
PD2 wrote:
DjH wrote:
PD2 wrote:Paid $3.99 a gallon, but of course that is 91 octane gas. My pizza car will not run on anything less than 91 octane without knocking or stalling out.

Turbo or High Compression?

Neither. I don't know why it won't run on lower gas. All it is is a Corolla/Camry engine. The last time I ran 87 in it, one of the sensors went out in it and it cost me a fortune to get it fixed. The mechanic told me I need to run a higher grade of gas in it.

TG my focus will run on the cheaper gas.

I think you need a better mechanic, not better gas. :oops:

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 pm
gregster wrote:I think you need a better mechanic, not better gas. :oops:

I have not had major problems with it since I went up to the higher octane. It has over 325,000 miles on it. Only real problem I have is the body is falling apart on it and it burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.

I figure some day I will start having major problems with it. It still has a lot of the original engine in it.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 am
PD2 wrote:

I have not had major problems with it since I went up to the higher octane. It has over 325,000 miles on it. Only real problem I have is the body is falling apart on it and it burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.

I figure some day I will start having major problems with it. It still has a lot of the original engine in it.

But how much extra is it costing you to pay 20-40 cents more per gallon to run that?!?!?! It just seems to me that your are giving up too easily on a potentially expensive problem.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 pm
gregster wrote:
PD2 wrote:

But how much extra is it costing you to pay 20-40 cents more per gallon to run that?!?!?! It just seems to me that your are giving up too easily on a potentially expensive problem.

I located a geo prizm lsi expert on this situation in my town, thanks to you getting me curious about it :lol: . He said that the engine in my car has a few A4 parts in it. I asked him that I am not a car expert, so what the hell does that mean in simple terms.

For some reason, my geo has a premium carburetor in it and a couple of other items that don't belong on it. In other words, someone tried to make a racing engine out of it. He showed me what the engine is supposed to look like, but mine has a ton more hoses and wires on it. I told him that it was supposed to be a floor model and it had options on it that normally didn't come with the car, but they never said anything about it being a unique engine (looking back though now I know why they were not thrilled working on it ;) .

He said that I have to run the higher octane in it or it will knock like sheet. There is nothing wrong with the engine, it just needs higher octane to run right.

Now I know why my geo sits low. Someone had major plans for it, but I wonder why they stopped messing with it. :? The clearance is only about 6 inches under it ( and it also has a nose piece under it that I can just barely get my hand under) and you feel the bumps in it. There is no way you could get under it without jacking it up a hell of a lot.
Last edited by PD2 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

General Manager

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Chevy Trailblazer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 am
Paid $4.29 today in Indiana, though we pay Chicago prices here. Comes out to 30 cents a mile in my car just for gas :(
PreviousNext

Return to Gas Prices etc.