Are the Obama's policies affecting oil/gasoline prices?

Are the Obama administration's policies affecting oil/gasoline prices in the US?

Obama's policies are RAISING oil and gas prices.
2
50%
Obama's policies are LOWERING oil and gas prices.
0
No votes
Obama's policies have no significant effect on oil and gas prices.
2
50%
 
Total votes : 4

User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6999
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 am
Dear America, Our Orwellian President Fails on Energy

https://www.facebook.com/notes/sarah-pa ... 5346038435

by Sarah Palin on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 9:23pm ·

Last Friday, former energy trader and now Fox News host Eric Bolling and I hosted a Fox special called “Paying at the Pump,” which offered President Obama solutions to reduce prices at the pump and get our country on the path to real energy security.

A genuine “all of the above” approach to energy independence is, of course, a multifaceted plan. It includes conservation and sensible private sector investment in sound alternative energy, and it absolutely must involve unleashing our domestic energy production. We cannot ignore the need to drill, baby, drill; frack, baby, frack; and mine, baby, mine. Those who are concerned about the environment and our dangerous dependence on foreign oil should encourage the development of natural gas as a clean and plentiful bridge-fuel to a more renewable future. We have enough clean, green natural gas in America to be energy independent for many decades—whether we use it for natural gas cars or natural gas power plants. We also need to look at our oil refining capacity and our regulations there. We must cut the job-killing, anti-domestic energy regulations of Obama’s EPA and IRS which create such burdens and uncertainty. Finally, Eric pointed out that we must do something about the Wall Street speculators. I know this is a touchy issue, but Eric’s points are valid. Obama’s Federal Trade Commission and Commodity Futures Trading Commission appear to have no teeth in dealing with this because they haven’t cracked down on the president’s friends on Wall Street who are creating unnecessary oil market volatility. Eric suggested that we could reduce the problem of speculation by raising energy margin requirements.

In his press conference today, President Obama seems to have latched on to Eric’s idea of dealing with speculators. But the president proposed an outrageously expensive “fix,” claiming that he needs a boatload of tax dollars and bureaucrats to merely apply common sense to regulating oil trades and enforcing the authority the CFTC was already granted by the Dodd-Frank bill. This is ridiculous, and it’s not enough. Keep in mind that cracking down on speculation is only a small part of the solution. The key remedy is still drilling.

Basically, President Obama’s idea of an “all of the above” approach to energy is really “none-of-the-above” to the resources we use right now to power our economy. Take for instance the Obama EPA’s war against coal production (which he promised when he was a candidate), which will ultimately leave us with higher electric bills and less electricity. Because his cap and trade legislation got sidelined, Obama is now using his EPA to accomplish the same destructive goals by imposing draconian regulations aimed at crippling the coal industry. According to the Associated Press, Obama’s EPA will soon “force 32 mostly coal-fired power plants to shut down and threatens to close 36 others” and will eventually remove from our power grid enough electricity to power 11 million households. Just ask Californians how much fun “rolling blackouts” are. I suppose we can look forward to more romantic candle-lit evenings ahead as America moves backward with less energy, which must be more of Obama’s “leading from behind” strategy. I hope the folks up North have a hearty wood supply for their fireplace warmth, and that those in the Southwest don’t mind sweltering in the summer heat. Air conditioning takes up an awful lot of electricity; and in Obama’s America, energy will be scarce. As Mark Levin has pointed out numerous times, Obama’s policies will ultimately de-industrialize America.

But we don’t have to look to the future to feel the pain of Obama’s energy policies. Look at our current gas prices. The Obama administration is locking up federal lands to drilling. The EIA reports that production and sale of fossil fuels on federal lands dropped by 6% last year under Obama. Other studies show a 12% decline. When you hear the president boast of all the “new” drilling going on, he’s talking about production on private and state land that was in the works long ago and is not under his control. He doesn’t tell you how his administration has done everything in its power to strangle resource development with regulatory red tape and foot dragging on the permitting and leasing process. We hear his endless claims that we only have “2% of the world’s oil”—sometimes he adds “reserves” to that—but know that the White House is playing games with semantics. The Obama administration is using a subset of “proved oil reserves” to make it sound like America is energy poor! They’re deliberately distorting the true picture of our massive recoverable oil resources—most of which is on federal land that the government has locked up to responsible development. In short, the president is deceiving the public. As I’ve said before, the energy production “facts” and numbers President Obama repeats are skewed, deceptive and downright Orwellian.

Ironically, President Obama likes to remind us that global factors outside of our control affect the price of oil, but he never seems to make the connection that this is precisely why we should increase our domestic supply of oil by drilling here where environmental and worker safety standards are stricter than any foreign country from which we purchase oil, and that our increased domestic supply would put downward pressure on the price of oil. If Obama doesn’t think increasing the supply on the market affects the price at the pump, then why did he ask the Saudis to increase their production? And Brazil? Why did he open our Strategic Reserves last year to lower prices at the pump? Common sense tells you that, of course, increasing the supply of something has an affect on the price.

President Obama refuses to acknowledge this obvious truth because he doesn’t want to do what needs to be done. He isn’t interested in drilling, fracking or mining for the resources we actually use to power our economy. His idea of an energy plan amounts to dumping more of our tax dollars into the bankrupt green energy companies that his campaign donors invested in. It’s crony capitalism on steroids. He’s also in favor of “investing” your tax dollars into algae because he believes pond scum is the wave of the future. He also tells you to deal with gas prices by merely inflating your tires; getting a tune up; and, despite your work needs or the size of your family, ditch your larger vehicle for one he deems acceptably small. But what about the $4 per gallon gas prices that are devastating the budgets of American families, crippling our small businesses, and increasing the transportation costs of all goods shipped in America and thereby increasing the prices of everything we buy? Barack Obama’s answer to your pain is basically, “give me some flexibility here…” because “change isn’t easy.” Well, actually it is. It starts with getting rid of this energy illiterate administration.

Today, on Tax Day, our big, wasteful, and largely useless centralized government is taking hard-earned money from 85 million Americans.

The Republican Study Committee reports: “According to the non-partisan Tax Foundation, the country will work 107 days this year just to pay for federal, state, and local taxes. By their calculations, a larger share of Americans’ income will go to taxes than food, clothing & housing combined!”

And what do we get in return on our investment in big government? More marching orders from the faceless bureaucrats in D.C. More crony capitalism for the administration’s favored friends. More expensive conventions, vacations, parties (and Colombian hookers?) for the profligate Obama administration. Less energy security. Less allowance for resource development. More EPA regulations to de-industrialize our country and kill jobs. More opportunities shipped overseas as we allow others to produce for us that which our government refuses to allow us to produce for ourselves!

Aren’t we tired of this by now? Candidate Obama promised us a sensible energy plan to get us to energy independence. President Obama has failed to deliver it.

He fails to understand the fundamental truth that there is an inherent link between energy and prosperity, and energy and security. Oil prices affect everything in our lives, including where we send our sons and daughters in war. Developing resources here grows our economy, decreases our trade imbalance, creates hundreds of thousands of good-paying jobs, and secures our union by eliminating our dependence on dangerous foreign regimes who use our energy insecurity as a weapon against us. Access to secure domestic energy will make us a more peaceful and prosperous nation.

Obama doesn’t understand this—just as he doesn’t understand the dangers of his wasteful spending. Our energy policy is also linked with our fiscal and monetary policies. In light of America’s unsustainable $16 trillion debt, there’s more talk about dumping the U.S. dollar as the world’s reserve currency, which is the currency used to buy and sell oil. If that happens, we’ll feel the pain of inflation everywhere—especially at the pump. That, in turn, will trickle down to everything in our economy. Those living on fixed incomes and retirement pensions and annuities will feel the pain especially hard. So, this is one more reason to get government debt under control with sound monetary policy that doesn’t try to “inflate away” our debt with currency manipulation and gimmicks like quantitative easing.

Obama fails to understand this. He’s failed us as the nation’s stakeholders, and that’s why we must replace our CEO at November’s ballot box. As one audience member in our Fox special said, “I can’t fill my gas tank with hope and change.”

Wake up, America. November is around the corner. Change is easier than you’ve been led to believe.

- Sarah Palin
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6999
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 am
If not the Obama administration, then who? Oil companies? Speculators? How are they raising prices?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Santa Fe NM
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 am
Some links with information about how Oil Companies & Speculators affect prices. Don't take everything we read at face value, but there is information in these that does explain the actions/reactions.

http://www.jakestreet.com/oil_speculators_and_the_big_oil.htm

http://money.howstuffworks.com/oil-speculation-raise-gas-price.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Major_factors_that_have_been_responsible_for_inflation

As for my personal opinion, if someone in office does something the oil companies don't like, it seems those companies create a backlash against that person by lowering production, raising prices due to artificial shortages, and then pointing fingers at the president/congress saying things like "well, THEY won't give us our pipeline/open areas to drilling, so YOU now have to pay more. Yell at them, not us." On the other hand, Speculators always mess up prices, and for more than just oil. Oil just seems to be the main thing that gets speculated on.

Edit: Also, I'd really think twice before relying on anything written by Palin as fact. She's not exactly a genius.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6999
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 am
DjH wrote:Edit: Also, I'd really think twice before relying on anything written by Palin as fact. She's not exactly a genius.


And being a resident and former Governor of Alaska does not make her an uninformed fool either. ;)
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6999
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am
From the PDDF facebook page:

Well, if as you say (about oil prices):

"Oil Companies are affecting them" and "Speculators in the market cause price raises, along with artificial shortages" and "if you control the production of a product and speculate on the market what that product will do, there's no risk - you can make the product do what you want in order to make your speculation profitable. So when the companies are the speculators (or have deals with them)..."

Why did they allow oil prices to drop by 60%???

Do they or do they not have the power to raise prices at will?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Santa Fe NM
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am
gregster wrote:
DjH wrote:Edit: Also, I'd really think twice before relying on anything written by Palin as fact. She's not exactly a genius.


And being a resident and former Governor of Alaska does not make her an uninformed fool either. ;)



True. She could see Russia from there, after all. :roll:

As to the FB stuff, I responded there, and I'm hitting the sack now. Tired.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 6999
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 am
DjH wrote:
gregster wrote:
DjH wrote:Edit: Also, I'd really think twice before relying on anything written by Palin as fact. She's not exactly a genius.


And being a resident and former Governor of Alaska does not make her an uninformed fool either. ;)



True. She could see Russia from there, after all. :roll:

As to the FB stuff, I responded there, and I'm hitting the sack now. Tired.


Here is what she ACTUALLY said:

"They're our next door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska."



That does not detract from her well informed opinion on the oil industry, but is does detract from the discussion.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Image

Driver Trainee
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota MR-T turbo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am
Price per barrel is almost the same as it was last year this time.
No reason why per gallon gasoline has to be almost 1$ more than last year.
It's greed, the gas stations see that we'll pay this inflated price for fuel so there is no reason to drop the price. :(

Return to Gas Prices etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron