When gas prices go up, how much should mileage go up?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 pm
Rob wrote:For instance if the last 1/2 of last year your reimbursement was $1.00/run and the government pay/mile was $0.50, and first 1/2 of this years government pay/mile is $0.56 the reimbursement should be $1.12 IE. the 12% increase the government showed

Per RUN and per MILE are two FAR different things.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

makeline/cook

Where do you work?:
Big3 A 2years
Local franchise A 1½ years
Local franchise B 8 months
back to
Local franchise A 5½ years
Big 3 B 13 years
PJI 6 months as of 2/14
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Hybrid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:54 am
gregster wrote:
Rob wrote:For instance if the last 1/2 of last year your reimbursement was $1.00/run and the government pay/mile was $0.50, and first 1/2 of this years government pay/mile is $0.56 the reimbursement should be $1.12 IE. the 12% increase the government showed

Per RUN and per MILE are two FAR different things.
I know there would be discrepancies that's why it would be loosely based on the government standard.

The discrepancies would be that although the % would always be the same IE 1.00 for a 4mile run is 50% of government $0.50 max and so is $1.12 at $0.56.

@ 4 mile/average The $0.12 would only cover 1/2 of the increase in expenses the government adjusted for. With immensely high fuel prices it would get so disproportionate that it would never cover expenses.

That's where some adjustments might come in.

IE. 4 miles @ 1.00 is 1/2 of what the government max would pay @ $0.50 but the overall increase adjusted for expenses is 12% so maybe

12% divided by 1/2 X reimbursement which would go from $1.00 to $1.24 instead of $1.12

at 5 miles average 1.00 would pay 40% government max so the 12%divided by 2/5 X 1.00 which would go from$1.00 to $1.30 instead of $1.12

The problem with basing it on average miles is proving the average miles
Don't hurry up and stop. Drive smarter, time the lights. It's sometimes faster and always more economical.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:35 pm
Rob wrote:The problem with basing it on average miles is proving the average miles

No it is not. Just record your total miles driven and number of deliveries over that time period, such as a day, a week or a month. Then divide total reimbursement money by number of deliveries and you very simply get how many cents per mile you averaged during that period. After you collect a few months of data, you will find that the average distance per delivery varies very little or even none at all down to one or two decimals as long as the size of the service area does not change.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

makeline/cook

Where do you work?:
Big3 A 2years
back to
Big 3 B 13 years
PJI 6 months as of 2/14
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Hybrid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:18 pm
I guess I should reiterate the "proving average miles" is more about the management accepting your "proof of average miles" Most management/owners I've dealt with would assume the average miles you provided is an exaggeration and also would just ignore any requests to have them actually record your working miles so they can actually see first hand your average.
Don't hurry up and stop. Drive smarter, time the lights. It's sometimes faster and always more economical.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm
Rob wrote:I guess I should reiterate the "proving average miles" is more about the management accepting your "proof of average miles" Most management/owners I've dealt with would assume the average miles you provided is an exaggeration and also would just ignore any requests to have them actually record your working miles so they can actually see first hand your average.

Well, they can choose not to accept your proof, and then you can contact DOL or an attorney and force the information down their throats.

Here's the thing... employees need to stand up to their employers, or accept that they are slaves (ya I'm taking it to the extreme). The idea that the employee should just leave and move on to another employer is not a solution, it's running away.

Keep track of your actual mileage and mileage reimbursement (compensation) each shift, and then tack on an additional 5 minutes per day at your hourly wage (not tip credit, the higher of federal or state minimum wage) for record keeping.

I started keeping track of everything before I made my complaint against my employer, and have kept keeping track. The information I keep track of will be used to my benefit down the road. It's not difficult and doesn't take an enormous amount of time, it's just takes making it a habit.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 pm
^^^ Good advice.

makeline/cook

Where do you work?:
Big3 A 2years
back to
Big 3 B 13 years
PJI 6 months as of 2/14
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Hybrid
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:46 am
I keep track of miles/mileage I have for years but it's all miles work and personal. So it wouldn't work as a proof of work miles.

The problem with butting heads with the big business by using the DOL or a attorney is you have to prove you're making less than minimum wage(including tips)after all the expenses(or /mile allotment) , then maybe something can get done. But at what cost would it not hurt your chances of employment at related businesses in the area if your employment was terminated? One employee wouldn't make that much difference going to a attorney or the dol. If it was a class action yeah I'd be for it if you're not committed to that try other means, or move on.

Anyway the subject was how much should it go up not by what means, although inevitably it would go to that

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:00 am
Rob wrote:I keep track of miles/mileage I have for years but it's all miles work and personal. So it wouldn't work as a proof of work miles.

This is because you're only keeping track of your mileage and compensation. You also need to keep track of your expenses. This last part is the most difficult to do and make a habit of. But once you start doing it it does become habit.

Start a folder and in that folder you place your fuel receipts (I put these in a normal sized envelop) and any other expenses you incurred for your vehicle. Additional expenses your vehicle incurs are: Insurance premiums, any insurance deductible payments you may have had to make, maintenance (everything, and if you do the work yourself then estimate the amount of time it took you to do it and multiple that by $75/hr (or what a comparable mechanic in your surrounds would charge)), any upgrades to the vehicle (I tinted my windows that's an expense, I installed a new deck and speakers in my car, that's an expense), Your vehicle registration costs, your smog check (if your state forces you to get one), New tires (or just replacement tires I don't know if you go to the junkyard and get used tires), Car washes (I have my car professionally cleaned once a month... not detailed.. cleaned). Every penny you spend on your vehicle is an expense and should be documented. I know it might sound like a daunting task but it's really not.

Rob wrote:The problem with butting heads with the big business by using the DOL or a attorney is you have to prove you're making less than minimum wage(including tips)

I have to stop you right here. This is not correct. You do not include all your tips, just the portion that your employer is allowed to take a credit on. Re-read what I just typed. Now re-read it again. Again. When you can repeat that in your head without reading it, you're doing good.

Rob wrote: But at what cost would it not hurt your chances of employment at related businesses in the area if your employment was terminated?

I haven't been terminated yet... they're trying to lay the ground to terminate me, but it's going to cost them when they do terminate me for some stupid fucking reason. Employment elsewhere? This is where I might defer from the majority of delivery drivers.. I don't fucking care anymore. Terminate me... big fucking deal. It might hurt my chances getting a job elsewhere, but for me its not that big of a deal.

Rob wrote:One employee wouldn't make that much difference going to a attorney or the dol.

Really? Would an increase in your mileage rate of more than 60% or an increase of 100% be worth it? How about if that one person was able to effect that change for hundreds, if not thousands of delivery drivers?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:07 pm
Rob wrote:But at what cost would it not hurt your chances of employment at related businesses in the area if your employment was terminated?

How so? First of all, if you are fired because you filed a complaint, there are whistle-blower laws that allow you to sue for that also.

Besides, I have seen dozens of drivers both fired or quit go and then get hired right away at the nearby competitors, sometimes even applying while wearing the uniform shirt they just quit in minutes before!

makeline/cook

Where do you work?:
Big3 A 2years
back to
Big 3 B 13 years
PJI 6 months as of 2/14
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Hybrid
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:51 pm
elric92 wrote:Really? Would an increase in your mileage rate of more than 60% or an increase of 100% be worth it?
The main point wasn't I couldn't make a difference it was there's strength in numbers.

gregster wrote:How so?

The problem comes from the fact I've been doing this long enough some of the pizza chains in town have former co-workers. Granted I'm generally well liked but that won't stop former co-workers that still have contact with co-workers from telling would be employers about my termination.

Case in point a former employee won't be hired by the company where he was terminated nor any other company where there are former co-workers because grounds for his termination from the former employer is well known.
PreviousNext

Return to Gas Prices etc.