Topic of the Week: HEAT STRESS season. Is your A/C working?

General Manager

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Chevy Trailblazer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:58 am
DjH wrote:
gregster wrote:
mikej wrote: As for my car... well my mileage isn't that great (not to mention it's a family car and only I pay for gas), so I just keep the windows down and keep hydrated... even if that means buying my drinks at work.

I wonder if anyone has ever run the numbers to see which is cheaper: Running the car A/C or buying two cold sodas during your shift.

Not to mention - At anything above 40mph, A/C is actually more efficient than having the windows down - at that point, aerodynamics come into play and the windows being open cuts your efficiency to the point where the A/C drag on the engine is the better choice.

I've heard the same thing, though I'd think it would depend on the car.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:07 am
cruleworld wrote:I've heard the same thing, though I'd think it would depend on the car.

It makes a larger difference depending on car shape, etc. However at the 40mph point, the windows being open on any vehicle creates more aerodynamic drag efficiency loss than mechanical drag loss from having the AC compressor engaged. The only exception I can think of is on a vehicle like the Prius with electronic AC (non-engine driven compressor) - on that, A/C is always more efficient.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Driver Trainee

Where do you work?:
Former Domino's and Papa John's Franchises
User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
2014 Nissan Altima
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 pm
I've heard it both ways. AC is more efficient at certain speeds, and AC will drain you no matter what.

I'll give AC a chance next time I fill up, and see what happens.

gregster wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever run the numbers to see which is cheaper: Running the car A/C or buying two cold sodas during your shift.

I admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but from what the guys tell me at work, with the AC on, it uses about 30% of the gas. If this is true, 2 sodas sound a hell of a lot cheaper. But can anyone confirm that?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:16 am
those guys are full of shit. 30% my ass
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:54 am
mikej wrote:I've heard it both ways. AC is more efficient at certain speeds, and AC will drain you no matter what.

Both are true. To get the most efficiency out of your car, leave the A/C off. It is a drag on the engine which will drain power and mileage. However, it will drain LESS power and mileage at anything above 40MPH than having the windows down.

I admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but from what the guys tell me at work, with the AC on, it uses about 30% of the gas.

Yeah, that statement is pegging my B.S.ometer. Realistically, more like 5%-10% at most depending on how old it is, belt condition, compressor condition, etc.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Driver Trainee

Where do you work?:
Former Domino's and Papa John's Franchises
User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
2014 Nissan Altima
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:52 pm
Alright, I gave the AC a chance today... I didn't notice too much as far as how much gas I was using (a good sign I suppose) but I did notice a lower RPM (which I imagine is another good sign)

I guess I'll keep it up... but I have noticed I still need to buy drinks at work. :P Maybe I should bring more bottled water from home, keep it in the walk in or something...
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:50 pm
mikej wrote:Maybe I should bring more bottled water from home, keep it in the walk in or something...

If you have a "Dollar Tree" store (or similar) near you, go in, they have $1 1L Aluminum bottles for sale there. Pick up a couple. Keep them full and in the fridge, grab them on the way to work. Refill them at home. Or go buy a BPA free Nalgene bottle. They're worth it. Much cheaper in the long run than bottled water, not to mention less wasteful.

Even warm water from sitting in your car will help on a hot day.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:56 pm
I have a big insulated cup from 7-11 that fits in the cup holders of my car. just like this but black"

I fill it halfway with water and freeze it overnight. Add cool water right before work and have ice cold water even in the worst heat for at least 4 hours.

Before that I reused water bottles and filled them 1/2 way. The insulated cup works better though.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:09 am
Even before "creating" some boulders for kidney stones, I always keep, at the very least, 2 1L bottles of water in my car. My general rule is that anything above 85 degrees I will need to drink at least 3 bottles full of water during a 9 - 10 hour shift. I generally fill the bottles out of the tap and I do not keep them cold as cold water tends to give me slight cramps during really warm/hot weather (plus your body has to warm that coldness up and that requires energy and the cold water is a bit of a shock to your system).

I am starting to experiment with stuff like Gateraid so as not to flush out too much nutrients/minerals while keeping my body hydrated and the kidney stones at bay.

AND I could care less about the company's "rules" about not drinking ANYTHING while on the road.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 am
Racket_Man wrote:...the company's "rules" about not drinking ANYTHING while on the road.

wait... wtf?
PreviousNext

Return to Workplace Safety/OSHA Regs