Topic of the Week: HEAT STRESS season. Is your A/C working?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:05 pm
DjH wrote:
Racket_Man wrote:...the company's "rules" about not drinking ANYTHING while on the road.

wait... wtf?

My PJ's franchise has that rule: No drinks in the car. No radio/music either. No smoking.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm
gregster wrote:
DjH wrote:
Racket_Man wrote:...the company's "rules" about not drinking ANYTHING while on the road.

wait... wtf?

My PJ's franchise has that rule: No drinks in the car. No radio/music either. No smoking.

...I have a rule in my car...

...it's mine, other people don't tell me what I can and can't do in it.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:26 pm
Racket_Man wrote:
AND I could care less about the company's "rules" about not drinking ANYTHING while on the road.

I'd flaunt that I was breaking the rule. Then when they told me I could not drink while in my car I would ask ( well demand really) that they provide the policy to me in writing on company (franchise) letterhead. I would then point out that the their policy is not only against the law but against basic human rights. I would also point out that if I am not allowed to drink while performing my job then no one in the company is allowed to drink while performing their job. But then I'm an outspoken pain in the ass.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm
elric92 wrote:I would then point out that the their policy is not only against the law ...

How so?

Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 am
gregster wrote:
DjH wrote:

wait... wtf?

In theory my franchise has the same rules. BUT one one abides by them especially the no drinking rule while the weather is warm/hot. SORRY that would mean kidney stones could be a Workmen's Comp claim in the making. Kidney stones are NO fun. If you have never had them BE GLAD be very glad.

Let's see there are quite a few of us who smoke (though I only do that after a derlivery and have myt windows down anyway no complaints yet).

NO radio/music playing ---- NOT happening., I need something more than the "rushing sound of the wind" to keep me company. I usually listen to talk radio for most of the shift. Mostly listen to the local Public Radio station and the BBC World Service after 11pm

I seem to remember hearing that NPC had the most strict rules about drinks in the car -- as in first time offence = immediate termination if caught.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 am
What I should have said is that the policy would most likely be considered unlawful. I cannot see that policy being upheld if it were to be placed in front of OSHA, DOL, or a court.

The policy must have been put in place for a reason. The reason that policy was put in place I feel I can invalidate with just a little bit of logic and common sense. But then again I don't believe that all the policies PJ has are lawful, logical, justifiable, or are based in common sense.

Can you provide a reason that the "No drinks in car" cannot be defeated with a little bit of logic?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:15 am
Most business safety policies are a direct result of existing federal and state safety regulations and as a result of lost lawsuits.

I worked as a safety Petty Officer for many years in the Navy and know the federal workplace regs pretty well. The no drink policy is likely as a result of lost litigation where a driver caused an accident while drinking something. Result? Drivers may no longer drink in their vehicles. They don't really care much if you do... They actually just want it in the rules so they have deny-ability for being at fault and losing money as a result. Same thing as the no radio/music rule... Likely a driver didn't hear an emergency vehicle or a car horn and had an accident that would have otherwise been avoidable. They lost money so: New rule. :roll:

So is banning drinks in your vehicle lawful? Most likely yes. Just like you have the right to freedom of speech, does not mean you have the same freedom of speech right on the clock.

You also have the right to drink alcohol under certain conditions, but your employer can legally prohibit it at work.

General Manager

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Chevy Trailblazer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am
gregster wrote:So is banning drinks in your vehicle lawful? Most likely yes. Just like you have the right to freedom of speech, does not mean you have the same freedom of speech right on the clock.

You also have the right to drink alcohol under certain conditions, but your employer can legally prohibit it at work.

I think he was taking it a step further as in drinking water as well.
Driver Trainee

Where do you work?:
Former Domino's and Papa John's Franchises
User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
2014 Nissan Altima
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 am
If I remember correctly, it's actually illegal to drink (anything) and drive in my state (MD). The only exception to this is if you're using a straw. The logic behind this is the cup can block your view, but if you're using a straw, then you're view is not obstructed.

It's not a very well enforced law, though.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:52 am
cruleworld wrote:
gregster wrote:So is banning drinks in your vehicle lawful? Most likely yes. Just like you have the right to freedom of speech, does not mean you have the same freedom of speech right on the clock.

I think he was taking it a step further as in drinking water as well.

Water can likely be legally banned by work also.

PreviousNext

Return to Workplace Safety/OSHA Regs