Topic of the Week: HEAT STRESS season. Is your A/C working?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm
water can be banned? aren't we in a thread discussing Heat Stress? my ability to keep from becoming a heat casualty while performing my work duties can be banned?

Sometimes I have to remember that being legal does not necessarily mean being logical.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 pm
elric92 wrote:water can be banned?

While driving, yes. No rule prevents you from drinking between runs.

aren't we in a thread discussing Heat Stress?

Yes.

my ability to keep from becoming a heat casualty while performing my work duties can be banned?

They are not banning your "ability to keep from becoming a heat casualty while performing my work duties". They are banning consuming drinks while operating your vehicle.

Sometimes I have to remember that being legal does not necessarily mean being logical.

Or even practical.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:29 am
One of the other reasons that drinks are banned when driving is that some idiot person may see you taking a drink. Now your drink of choise may be a colored beverage say Coke or Pepsi or some dark colored Gater-aide. Viewed from a distance Said idiot assumes you are consuming not an ordinary drink but an adult type beverage. They then call the store to complain and make the claim that a delivery driver is drinking beer or such on the job.

I remember that story from a couple of years ago on the other board.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:15 am
The A/C is working, but there are a lot of cool spots and hot spots in the store. Mike is trying to figure out how to get the air circulating better around the store.

As for water, we have plenty of it. He has been bringing in a 5 gallon cooler of well water into the store so that we have plenty to drink. I am not a big fan of well water, but I am forcing myself to drink it. :| .

Tomorrow is going to be hell. It is supposed to be our hottest day ever at 108. Thank God that tomorrow is my split shift and I will be out of there while they are cooking the rest of the bacon and doing the croutons (Yes it sucked today. I usually love the smell of bacon, but I was wanting it to go away today :oops: ).

My Geo has been sitting in my parking lot all week. I have been driving the Focus, but hopefully I can get back into the Geo in a few days; since I will be wanting the Focus to rest up before my huge road trip for vacation. I was looking at that item that they have been advertising on TV about charging up your own A/C. I wonder if that would help my Geo. It has A/C, but its "hot" A/C. :?:
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:29 am
I've charged my own A/C many times. It's very easy. Don't buy the all in one cans with the hose attached though. Get a kit that includes a reusable hose with a gauge, or just buy the hose and gauge separate. (You don't need the professional hose kit with 2 gauges, just a foot long hose with one gauge.)

Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 am
^^^ you know that's actually illegal unless you're certified as an A/C tech right?

I know they do it, but I have no clue how stores are allowed to sell that stuff without checking for certification.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:21 am
DjH wrote:^^^ you know that's actually illegal unless you're certified as an A/C tech right?

I know they do it, but I have no clue how stores are allowed to sell that stuff without checking for certification.

That was illegal when all cars used R-12 which contained CFC's that killed the ozone. Cars built after 1993/4 use R-134 a which you don't need a license to use.

Has EPA finalized the rule on restricting the sale of R-134a? Is it still legal to purchase R-134a?
EPA has finalized a rulemaking (69 FR 11946; March 12, 2004)(43 pp, 491 KB) that does not include a restriction on the sale of HFC refrigerant R-134a. EPA has limited the sales restriction to refrigerants that contribute to depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer, including HFC blends containing an ozone-depleting substance (e.g., FRIGC FR-12, Free Zone, Hot Shot or R-414B, GHG-X4 or R-414A, and Freeze 12). While EPA does not restrict the sale of pure HFC substitutes, it remains illegal to knowingly vent HFC substitutes during the maintenance, service, repair, or disposal of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (i.e., appliances).

EPA’s factsheet, “The Refrigerant Sales Restriction,” provides detailed information on the types of certification required to purchase refrigerants.

More here.

Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 am
That explains it.

I passed my certification in 2003, and when I was trained it was still illegal. The other funny thing is once you get certified, it NEVER expires. So since I never had to re-cert, I never knew it had changed. lol

Edit: Although, technically, anyone who is refilling their R134a is still breaking the law - if you're having to refill it, it's leaking. And if it's leaking, you're venting it...
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 am
Racket_Man wrote:One of the other reasons that drinks are banned when driving is that some idiot person may see you taking a drink. Now your drink of choise may be a colored beverage say Coke or Pepsi or some dark colored Gater-aide. Viewed from a distance Said idiot assumes you are consuming not an ordinary drink but an adult type beverage. They then call the store to complain and make the claim that a delivery driver is drinking beer or such on the job.

I remember that story from a couple of years ago on the other board.

I wonder if that was my story. I used to drink quite a bit of IBC cream soda, and I had a bottle one time that got a little shook up and a customer thought I was drinking a beer. It got drinks banned while driving, and this was even an Indy shop I used to work at.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm
From Facebook:

Someone asked:

Kinda sad when it is triple digit temps outside and just as hot in the store, bc the owner wont turn down the AC. Checked one day and it was like 102 outside and 93 in the store and the AC was "on".

I replied:

If the AC is already running, turning the thermostat lower will not make it any 'more' on than it already is. Turning it lower will not make it any cooler because it is already at maximum output and unable to remove more heat than the store makes.

Also make sure all the filters are completely clean. The flour/dustinator clogs filters very quickly in pizza joints.

What frequently does happen though is people set the thermostat so low that the AC never shuts off at all, even overnight and the cooling coils eventually 'freeze up' making the AC totally ineffective until the AC is turned off and the ice allowed to completely melt.

The quickest way to melt frozen coils is to turn the AC off and set the fan to "ON". That will circulate the stores hot air across the ice to quickly melt it. If the coils freeze up every day, it can be due to low freon levels making the compressor run constantly. Have the unit serviced.

PreviousNext

Return to Workplace Safety/OSHA Regs