Post your questions or comments about pizza delivery here.

Do you have a comment or question but are afraid to register or want to remain anonymous? This is the place for you!
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 am

If you have questions or comments about pizza delivery, please post them here.

As a non-registered user, your post will not appear right away. It will have to be approved by a moderator before it shows up. Most posts will be approved in 24 hours or less. Posts containing any kind of spam or advertising will be deleted. This is the ONLY forum where non-registered guests can post. If you want to post in other forums here, you must register.

If you want to earn un-moderated posting privileges, you can register a name and after approval by me, you will be able to post immediately after that in any forum.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:31 pm
While I did think Dominos drivers got the delivery fee it isn't surprising to learn they do not.

A little background, I'm one of those: "Right up the street" people (prob 1/4 mile max in suburb/rural area). My pizzas get delivered lightening quick, I've always been happy with my delivery dudes & dudettes. Last delivery I was actually annoyed at how hot my pizza was, I prefer it cold!

I've always tipped $5 unless I get 3 or more pizzas... then it's $2/per pizza. Am I good? Bad? We try to be extra kind to our drivers so they know how much we appreciate them. I've only complained once when I got a pizza with raw dough - and that was after the driver left via phone to the store, I tipped the driver for the replacement pizza.

Is it a big deal to put the tip on the receipt? Does that piss drivers off? Clearly cash is king but often I'd be pulling together $1's and quarters and I feel cheap doing that. Would drivers prefer loose change vs. tip on the card?

I read such conflicting numbers on expected tips. I have a girlfriend that delivers in the city and she expects 20%, she almost never gets it and is in a constant state of irritation about it. That feels so wrong to me, a % of the cost is what I do when someone has to seat me at a clean table, take my order, fill my water glass, serve my food and clean up after me. What difference does it make if I order a plain cheese pizza vs one with the works? A medium pizza box is a medium pizza box irrespective of its contents.

:?:

Help! Oh pizza dudes and dudettes tell me if I have it right. I am very sensitive to this because I drive Uber/Lyft and non-tippers chap my hide something fierce. Riding with me is less than 1/2 the cost of a cab ride yet you'd tip a cabbie... why not me?

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:36 pm
I'm not sure if we are supposed to respond here, but here goes...gonna address your questions in order:

Is it a big deal to put the tip on the receipt? Does that piss drivers off? Clearly cash is king but often I'd be pulling together $1's and quarters and I feel cheap doing that. Would drivers prefer loose change vs. tip on the card?

Gonna answer this in two parts, with color denoting question/answer. As to this, it depends on the driver. Most drivers will say they prefer cash vs credit, as there is the "myth" that if we claim all our cash tips like we are supposed to, then we won't have a paycheck left, which is completely inaccurate. At my store, I claim all tips and compared my check with a coworker who claimed somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the amount I claimed. Our hours worked were less than an hour difference, yet my taxes totaled about 20 less than hers, which is negligible (we both have no dependents and listed as single on our tax worksheet) As for change, some drivers don't like carrying a lot of change, so they might say they hate it when people tip in change. Personally, I don't mind (I don't, it goes into a jar which I deposit every couple months, split between my vehicle savings fund and my daughter's college fund)

I read such conflicting numbers on expected tips. I have a girlfriend that delivers in the city and she expects 20%, she almost never gets it and is in a constant state of irritation about it. That feels so wrong to me, a % of the cost is what I do when someone has to seat me at a clean table, take my order, fill my water glass, serve my food and clean up after me. What difference does it make if I order a plain cheese pizza vs one with the works? A medium pizza box is a medium pizza box irrespective of its contents.

It doesn't really matter what you order, but the standard that most knowledgeable people here would say is $3 or 15%, whichever is higher. While we may not be seating you at a clean table, taking your order (we might be), filling your glass, or cleaning up after you...we have a much more dangerous job and we do bring the pizza to you. It might not seem like much of a difference in a single pizza scenario, but it matters a great deal between that single cheese and 3 or 4 larges, multiple orders of wings, etc. The more the order costs, GENERALLY means more work for the driver and more opportunities for something to go wrong, which, depending on the shop, will mean lower income if they miss out on other orders to fix something that, in all probability, wasn't their fault anyway.

I've always tipped $5 unless I get 3 or more pizzas... then it's $2/per pizza

In all likelihood, you're already tipping 15% or higher...depends on the shop, but at mine, a medium cheese would run you $14 (without any coupons), so 15% would be $2.10, which is about what you are already tipping (assuming 3 pizzas). Either way, I would say you are already tipping great, but your mileage may vary.

dough slapper

Where do you work?:
big 3 store
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
a gas guzzler
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm
One other thing regarding tipping, a lot of drivers do not realize that the IRS is still going to expect that you are going to get around 8% of sales in tips if you ever get audited. The same as any other tipped worker. That's how in most states the pizza companies get away with paying as low as 2.13 per hour while drivers are on the road. That may all change someday but as of today, the dollar sales still matter for tax purposes.

Return to Customer Comments and Questions