CSR/Phones
Where do you work?:
Dominos Pizza Franchise.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:00 am
I don't see it mentioned anywhere so i'll bring it up. Does anybody else use remote start on their cars? I had it installed on my truck right after i bought it. I mainly got it to be able to have the pit stop function. So i can leave it running on a delivery but be able to take the keys out and lock the doors when i am making the delivery. But it also comes in handy to be able to start my truck right before i leave the store so the heater is on and my GPS has booted up. My GPS is built into my stereo so it takes forever to start up.

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:34 pm
I try not to leave my vehicle idling, because it reduces my mpg, which reduces my net earnings (revenue minus expenses). It does put more wear and tear on the starter, but even so, the starter should last a long time, and the gain in gas mileage will outweigh the cost of a starter once it finally does stop working.

Also, I don't like to tempt other people when they see a vehicle running that is unattended.

CSR/Phones
Where do you work?:
Dominos Pizza Franchise.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:30 am
I guess i just do it because i drive a diesel and parts cost 2X's more than a cheap car lol and my truck doesn't seem to burn anything when idling for a few minutes anyway. im pretty sure it burns more starting and stopping it. Also out delivery area is a fairly low crime area. Lots of newer nicer houses, And only a few weird areas that's i usually don't worry about leaving it running. At most im never out of sight of it anyway. And even if somebody did feel the need to try and steal it, the second they step on the brake it shuts down. and the alarm goes off. Now if i am in an area i am suspicious of, i will shut it off and take my keys with me regardless.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:33 am
I honestly do not understand how you are able to afford to deliver in a Dodge Ram 2500, at most you're getting what... 16 MPG? Diesel is costing upwards of something like $380 a gallon isn't it? How much do you get in mileage compensation? I doubt enough to cover fuel, let alone all the other expenses to operating your vehicle... but I could be wrong.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 am
andrew7695 wrote:I guess i just do it because i drive a diesel and parts cost 2X's more than a cheap car lol and my truck doesn't seem to burn anything when idling for a few minutes anyway. im pretty sure it burns more starting and stopping it.

I don't know about your diesel engine, but each stop that I leave my car idling will drop my average mpg by 1 to 2 mpg, sometimes more if I have to wait at somebody's door for a while. I know this for a fact, because I use a ScanGauge. If I turn the engine off and crank it when I get back to the car right before I head back, I don't lose hardly any gas mileage.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:04 pm
andrew7695 wrote:I guess i just do it because i drive a diesel and parts cost 2X's more than a cheap car lol and my truck doesn't seem to burn anything when idling for a few minutes anyway. im pretty sure it burns more starting and stopping it. Also out delivery area is a fairly low crime area. Lots of newer nicer houses, And only a few weird areas that's i usually don't worry about leaving it running. At most im never out of sight of it anyway. And even if somebody did feel the need to try and steal it, the second they step on the brake it shuts down. and the alarm goes off. Now if i am in an area i am suspicious of, i will shut it off and take my keys with me regardless.

You need to read this thread and don't miss my posts on page 2 of 3!

TOTW: Do you leave your car running while on deliveries?

Here is an excerpt!

gregster wrote:
jb5150 wrote:
gregster wrote:
jb5150 wrote: I leave my car running if I am within visual sight of it,

Big waste of gas. Can you shut it off and send me $3 a day instead? :oops:

I think "big" is a bit of an overstatement, I'm generally referring to a delivery taking less than 3 minutes.

3 minutes x 20 deliveries = 60 minutes of idling time per shift.

$3 of gas a day x 50 weeks of 6 day workweeks...

$3 x 50 x 6 = $900 a year. You can send the the lump sum right now instead. You will save a lot of postage that way. :D

Will you be sending me a check or can you do paypal? :oops: 8-) :lol:
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:42 am
Also, this:

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... ngine.html

Every little bit adds up in the long run. If you don't mind giving away money, I agree with turning off your engine at each stop and sending the money saved to gregster instead.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 am
Paid2listen2music wrote:Also, this:

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... ngine.html

Every little bit adds up in the long run. If you don't mind giving away money, I agree with turning off your engine at each stop and sending the money saved to gregster instead.

Please "Quote" at least one sentence or paragraph that supports your point when posting a blind link. No one want's to click on a link without at least some expectation of what they might find there. If you (or anyone) are too lazy to support your links with supporting quotes, I refuse to click on them.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Shift Manager

Where do you work?:
PJ Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
FE compact
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:37 am
Good thing isn't wasn't for you! If the whole article in the link is meant to be read, quoting one piece of it somewhat defeats the purpose. And considering we all know what the thread is about, it should be fairly obvious what that link is going to be about, so quoting a small piece into the thread would become redundant. If people are too lazy to move their mouse to the link and left click to read, then I suppose I could copy and paste the entire thing into the thread, but then it takes up a bunch of thread space for the people that may not want to read it. I'll quote when I refer to certain parts of a link. Otherwise, I won't.

You post how you want, and I'll post how I want.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am
It's not about being too lazy to click on the link.

It's about being concerned about what the link is going install/infect your computer with.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.
Next

Return to Basic Car Care and Repair