Welcome to the Pizza Delivery Drivers Forum!

Welcome to all of our UK drivers!
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 am
Isn't there a new law that says if you get rejected due to something in a background check or credit report, the company MUST notify the applicant of the information used to make the rejection decision?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:30 am
gregster wrote:Isn't there a new law that says if you get rejected due to something in a background check or credit report, the company MUST notify the applicant of the information used to make the rejection decision?

Not that I know of. I think you may be thinking of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and how it applies to the employers checking the employee's Motor Vehicle Records, the "Singleton, et al. v. Domino’s (Fair Credit Reporting Act)" posting. But it is possible there is a new federal law on the books that i am unaware of.

But there is also a link in that same posting that references Employment Background Checks

If the employer thinks they might not hire, keep, or promote you because of something in the report, they must give you a copy of the report and a “Summary of Rights” that tells you how to contact the company that provided the report. That’s because background reports sometimes have mistakes. If you see a mistake in your background report, ask the background reporting company to fix it, and to send a copy of the corrected report to the employer. Tell the employer about the mistake, too.

Criminal History or Other Public Records

If you don’t get hired or promoted because of information in your criminal history or other public records, the employer must tell you orally, in writing, or electronically:

the name, address, and phone number of the company that supplied the criminal history or public records report;
that the company that provided the information didn’t make the decision to take the adverse action and can’t give you specific reasons for it; and
that you have the right to dispute the accuracy and completeness of any information in the report, and to an additional free report from the company that supplied it, if you ask for it within 60 days of the employer’s decision not to hire or retain you.

The company that provided the employer with negative information from a criminal history or other public records has certain obligations: it has to tell you that it provided the information and it has to take certain steps to make sure the information is accurate.

Some employers might say not to apply if you have a criminal record. That could be discrimination. If that happens to you, contact the EEOC. Find more information on:

arrest and conviction records in employment decisions
arrest and conviction records as an automatic bar to all employment

BTW, thanks for reminding me of this... I'll make sure to pass it on to my coworkers so they can be aware of it.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 am
floridagal wrote:ok thanks! Will do that because I have a friend that works at another location and he can put in a good word for me

Take a look at the stuff I just posted, I noticed something that may apply to your situation. If you don't see it let me know and I'll point it out.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Dominos
User Type:
Manager/Owner
Car you drive:
Sedan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:56 pm
I recently moved to California with my wife who in the military. I got a job here at dominos and noticed that they charge a 3.99 delivery charge to customers and the drivers receive 1.35 of it. Ive worked as a delivery for another place and we received 2.50 of a 3.00 charge the .50 went to the store for insurance. My question is how much am i getting ripped off of the remaindingredients 2.64.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 am
Brwood25 wrote:I recently moved to California with my wife who in the military. I got a job here at dominos and noticed that they charge a 3.99 delivery charge to customers and the drivers receive 1.35 of it.

It is our experience that the delivery driver receives none of the delivery fee. That experience is supported by law and the employer's own words.
Domino’s admits drivers get NONE of the Delivery charge!

The $1.35 you receive is reimbursement for an expense you incur for providing your vehicle for the primary benefit of the employer.

Is your Employer breaking Federal
Minimum Wage Law?

Additionally, California law says that IF you receive any portion of the automatic service charge (that is what the delivery fee is) it would be in addition to your normal pay.

6. Q. Is a mandatory service charge considered to be the same as a tip or gratuity?
A. No, a tip is a voluntary amount left by a patron for an employee. A mandatory service charge is an amount that a patron is required to pay based on a contractual agreement or a specified required service amount listed on the menu of an establishment. An example of a mandatory service charge that is a contractual agreement would be a 10 or 15 percent charge added to the cost of a banquet. Such charges are considered as amounts owed by the patron to the establishment and are not gratuities voluntarily left for the employees. Therefore, when an employer distributes all or part of a service charge to its employees, the distribution may be at the discretion of the employer and the service charge, which would be in the nature of a bonus, would be included in the regular rate of pay when calculating overtime payments.

Brwood25 wrote:Ive worked as a delivery for another place and we received 2.50 of a 3.00 charge the .50 went to the store for insurance. My question is how much am i getting ripped off of the remaindingredients 2.64.

Ok... your question "how much am i getting ripped off" requires that you first understand and accept that you receive none of the delivery fee. Please read the links I provided. If, after reading those links, and all the posts associated with those threads, you still do not understand, let us know or post comments/questions in those threads.

One thing you might want to figure out is how your employer decided on the $1.35 per delivery reimbursement. What is that number based on? For example, my franchise pays us $1.50 per delivery and that is based on the assumption that the average distance driven is 4 miles per delivery and our (the employee's) costs are $0.375 per mile.

n00b

Where do you work?:
Pizza Hut, mid-Atlantic
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
compact, low mileage (until recently)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:44 pm
hey, delivered for PH in the 80s & now back. Glad to have found the forum. Very unhappy about some changes. 1) mileage reimbursement. it's close to half the federal rate of 57.5 cents per mile. I think we get 23 cents. That does not cover costs & depreciation. We used to get better. Second biggie is that instead of minimum wage, drivers now get a "tipping wage." WTH...we use our cars, put ourselves in danger, & at our store at least, get $3.50 an hour. Tips in our area aren't great. Things have really gone downhill. it's not worth it. I'll go find the proper places to continue these thoughts..didn't actually see mileage anywhere but will hunt around. anyway, hello.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:15 am
chinzed wrote:hey, delivered for PH in the 80s & now back. Glad to have found the forum. Very unhappy about some changes. 1) mileage reimbursement. it's close to half the federal rate of 57.5 cents per mile. I think we get 23 cents. That does not cover costs & depreciation. We used to get better. Second biggie is that instead of minimum wage, drivers now get a "tipping wage." WTH...we use our cars, put ourselves in danger, & at our store at least, get $3.50 an hour. Tips in our area aren't great. Things have really gone downhill. it's not worth it. I'll go find the proper places to continue these thoughts..didn't actually see mileage anywhere but will hunt around. anyway, hello.

A quick hello and welcome to the forum. For the portions I've bolded you can review the links I am providing.

The following post has to do with the new tipped wage (for those of you poor souls that live in states that allow it)
"Split Pay" The 20% Rule For Tipped Employees

The following post has to do with mileage reimbursement
Is your Employer breaking Federal Minimum Wage Law?

n00b

Where do you work?:
college
User Type:
Manager/Owner
Car you drive:
yes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 am
Hello,welcome to this forum.I'm new here.

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:20 pm
Welcome to the forum Herber! If you don't mind, how did you find it?
Driver Trainee

Where do you work?:
Delivery Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
99 Civic HX
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:03 pm
Hi Herber! Just wanted to welcome you aboard. Hope to see you around. We all learn a lot from each other.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
Robert Heinlein
PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom Drivers