Can you refuse an order?

makeline/cook

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2003 Saturn VUE V6 AWD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 pm
IF YOU WORK FOR PAPA DOMINO HUT, YOUR CORPORATE POLICY IS TO REPORT ANY MANAGER WHO TELLS YOU TO TAKE AN UNSAFE RUN. Look for a notice about it in the store.

When I worked in a high risk store, NO-GO addresses were just that. We don't go there. Period. We did offer two free cokes if you came to pick it up.

This was before caller-id and computerized order taking. Call backs on every order. 75 order hour, 75 call backs. If it didn't check out, driver didn't go. Once we had computers, the address didn't match what was on record, call back after the order is placed and then call back again. If it didn't look right on the drive, keep on driving.

Now that I work in a low risk neighborhood, I still don't play. One address threatened to rob me, face to face. 911. Red lights. "I was just playing." The next week when they called, "Sorry we cannot deliver to that address due to the safety concerns of our deliver staff." They stayed that way for 5 years.

Bottom line. Protect your self. an AM thinks you should take an unsafe run. Let him take it.
Oh, I had a GM tell me he would fire a driver for not going to an unsafe address. I asked him if he would take it. "Hell no." He lived in his delivery area. Nice.
Master Driver

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:41 am
aportman wrote:IF YOU WORK FOR PAPA DOMINO HUT, YOUR CORPORATE POLICY IS TO REPORT ANY MANAGER WHO TELLS YOU TO TAKE AN UNSAFE RUN. Look for a notice about it in the store.
<snip>

Bottom line. Protect your self. an AM thinks you should take an unsafe run. Let him take it.
Oh, I had a GM tell me he would fire a driver for not going to an unsafe address. I asked him if he would take it. "Hell no." He lived in his delivery area. Nice.

Not to sound hostile, but do you really believe that the company has your best interest and safety in mind EVEN IF there is some poster with some words on it on the wall? I hate to say this but NO they do not. it is just words that is all. And they are hollow words at best.

DO they assume any financial or criminal or civial responceability if a driver gets robbed, raped, beaten up, brain damaged, paralyzed, or killed??? Even IF proper security procedures are followed??? NO a thousand time NO.

All they care about is the $$$s generated off of your back no matter the conditions or safety issues. Bad area, robberies, blizzards, tornados, hurricanes, drive by shootings, etc. They could care less and will not weap any tears at the loss of a driver, just hire another unsuspecting noob to replace them.

NO area is 100% safe from crime. I remember on TTPG Lone Star posted several pictures of a nice subruban neighborhood where a driver was shot and killed. Nice normal peaceful place.
Assistant Manager

Where do you work?:
Extreme Pizza
User Type:
Other
Car you drive:
2009 Toyota Matrix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 am
The "Boss" where I work gives enough decision making ability and support to our Supervisors so that any decision I make on the road is supported.

I have never had to refuse a delivery, but I have had customers call to complain about the service on rare occasions and my supervisor backed me up 100%.
Pete
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:46 pm
pchoppin wrote:The "Boss" where I work gives enough decision making ability and support to our Supervisors so that any decision I make on the road is supported.

I have never had to refuse a delivery, but I have had customers call to complain about the service on rare occasions and my supervisor backed me up 100%.

The advantages of working for a non Pig3 shop. At least I am assuming its not a Pig3 you work at, since the Pig3 kisses customers asses most of the time. :twisted:
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
indy shop
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2008 ford focus ses
2014 chevy cruze
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm
aportman wrote:___________________

I am betting that he said that just because its not job, it is yours. Unless he actually followed it up with a ,"its dangerous there", I think he just said that because its not "his job".

Pig3's do not give a shit anymore IMO.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:46 am
PD2 wrote:Pig3's do not give a shit anymore IMO.

Unless you MAKE them. :oops: :D 8-)

I admit that my store is a rare exception, but my influence has spread both locally and more importantly, nationwide. 8-)
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

dough slapper
Where do you work?:
Round Table Franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2014 Chevy Cruze
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:30 am
Eh, I grew up in this city so I know pretty well where the danger zones are. I usually feel fine delivering anywhere during daytime hours but after dark is another story. I've only had to refuse a delivery a couple times...

Once a couple years ago the shift supervisor told me to take an order out to a commercial area full of warehouses at almost 11pm. I told him the entire area was abandoned starting at 6PM! No way should anyone have called. He got really arrogant with me but I stood my ground. HE left to take the delivery, but came back after just a couple minutes. He said as he got into that district things started to feel very wrong. None of the lights were on in the surrounding buildings...

No one ever called back to complain the pizza wasn't delivered.
Q: What happens at midnight? You turn into a pumpkin?
A: Only if that pumpkin is a pizza topping...
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:06 am
Sentinel wrote: I usually feel fine delivering anywhere during daytime hours ...

And THAT's where you are most likely to be caught off guard! If you ever feel safe on delivery, you are not being vigilant for your own safety.
Sentinel wrote: He got really arrogant with me but I stood my ground.

Sentinel wrote:He got really arrogant with me but I stood my ground.

Good for you! :D What's more important to you, your safety or your job? Most drivers make the wrong decision in cases like this!

If instead they thought: "What will hurt me worse... Losing my job or being murdered or assaulted? "

A much more convincing question when you look at it that way!
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

n00b

Where do you work?:
central KY Dominos
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Sedan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:16 pm
I recently took a delivery after sundown - okayish neighborhood, light through closed blinds, but no exterior lights on. No answer at door. Our store policy is to call the customer, but only after driving a block or two away, since a likely time to get robbed on a setup is when you're sitting in your car.

But as I got in the car, I noticed another car less than a house away with driver's side door wide open, no one in sight, no interior light on. I didn't even bother calling the customer until I got back to the store. No answer at door and the even-slightly suspicious vehicle were enough for me.

My manager called the customer, who did answer and claimed to have missed me bc was in back of house was all. When mngr said why I did not call from their neighborhood, customer was totally cool about it.

Was this a setup? Almost certainly not. Was my mngr the least bit irked that we then sent the order free of charge? Nope. Good manager's get it. I hope you all work for one.

TAKE. NO. CHANCES. Customers worth your while know we have a dangerous job. Be safe out there.

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:53 pm
AvisMcNutts wrote:I recently took a delivery after sundown - okayish neighborhood, light through closed blinds, but no exterior lights on. No answer at door. Our store policy is to call the customer, but only after driving a block or two away, since a likely time to get robbed on a setup is when you're sitting in your car.

But as I got in the car, I noticed another car less than a house away with driver's side door wide open, no one in sight, no interior light on. I didn't even bother calling the customer until I got back to the store. No answer at door and the even-slightly suspicious vehicle were enough for me.

My manager called the customer, who did answer and claimed to have missed me bc was in back of house was all. When mngr said why I did not call from their neighborhood, customer was totally cool about it.

Was this a setup? Almost certainly not. Was my mngr the least bit irked that we then sent the order free of charge? Nope. Good manager's get it. I hope you all work for one.

TAKE. NO. CHANCES. Customers worth your while know we have a dangerous job. Be safe out there.

I am highlighting the sections of your post that interest me the most. I am interested in this portion because it is an issue that needs to be addressed throughout the industry.

Are you reimbursed for using your personal cell phone to make this call?

When you returned to the customer location, were you given additional mileage reimbursement?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
PreviousNext

Return to Driver Safety - How to avoid being robbed or attacked