Empty or Foreclosed Homes

User avatar
Assistant Manager
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 am
Location: Texas
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 pm
I'm thinking someone here might have a good way to find out what homes are empty/foreclosed/abandoned in delivery areas. Is there a site that compiles this information or any way to get a list of these homes for our protection?

We had a robbery that occurred at an abandoned home a while back. This was the day after I had a robbery attempt in the same neighborhood at another vacant house. Roughly two weeks later we got a call for a delivery to the same area(the delivery was confirmed by callback), but when I got to the street, I was able to see that the house was empty and had a foreclosure notice posted on the window (which I could see without getting out of the vehicle). The phone number was called back again, and the person confirmed the address for the vacant house, and when informed that the driver had reported it as empty, the person hung up quickly.

While on delivery last night, I noticed more vacant homes in an area close to where the robbery and robbery attempt had occurred. My concern is that with more and more vacancies, there is an increasing risk to delivering to those neighborhoods. With the latest shootings, stabbings, and beating of drivers at vacant houses, there has to be a way to get that data as a printout that can be used at the store similar to our no-deliver list and no-checks list.

Master Driver
Posts: 2619
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Wa
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:28 pm
There is no site that contains that information that I know of. If there were you could be assured that criminals would have already found it and looted everything possible from those foreclosed home. The only thing I could think of would be a Title company, but they would not know if a property was foreclosed, just who last purchased it, and in most states you'd have to pay for that information, like I do when I get farm lists for potential sellers. This information is in the public record, but foreclosures are between the lender and the buyer, which are not part of the public record.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
User avatar
Driver Trainee
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:38 am

Where do you work?:
Former Domino's and Papa John's Franchises
User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
2014 Nissan Altima
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 pm
I heard google earth has that kinda thing. But it might only be for emergency services.
User avatar
Assistant Manager
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 am
Location: Texas
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm
elric92 wrote:There is no site that contains that information that I know of. If there were you could be assured that criminals would have already found it and looted everything possible from those foreclosed home. The only thing I could think of would be a Title company, but they would not know if a property was foreclosed, just who last purchased it, and in most states you'd have to pay for that information, like I do when I get farm lists for potential sellers. This information is in the public record, but foreclosures are between the lender and the buyer, which are not part of the public record.


I guess we'd have to scout the neighborhoods on our own dime, during daylight, to know which homes/units/rentals are empty. There's really only a couple of neighborhoods that I'd have to cover, so I could cover that in an hour on my own.
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:41 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:41 am
I do know there are a LOT of houses up for sale in my area (nice and not so nice). It is hard to tell sometimes if these are just regular sales or bank/short sales.

HMMM I did a Google search for foreclosed homes in <my town> and found almost 900 (some within my delivery area). Another site you may want to try is http://www.homefinder.com and put in your city name and find the foreclosure criteria.

General Manager
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:22 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Chevy Trailblazer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:25 pm
Racket_Man wrote:I do know there are a LOT of houses up for sale in my area (nice and not so nice). It is hard to tell sometimes if these are just regular sales or bank/short sales.

HMMM I did a Google search for foreclosed homes in <my town> and found almost 900 (some within my delivery area). Another site you may want to try is http://www.homefinder.com and put in your city name and find the foreclosure criteria.


Wow that was really eye opening to do, there is a house on my own street that is foreclosed on.
User avatar
Master Driver
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:41 am

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Olds 2000
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:25 am
cruleworld wrote:
Racket_Man wrote:I do know there are a LOT of houses up for sale in my area (nice and not so nice). It is hard to tell sometimes if these are just regular sales or bank/short sales.

HMMM I did a Google search for foreclosed homes in <my town> and found almost 900 (some within my delivery area). Another site you may want to try is http://www.homefinder.com and put in your city name and find the foreclosure criteria.


Wow that was really eye opening to do, there is a house on my own street that is foreclosed on.


The only problem with Homefinder is that they do NOT provide the exact address of the property unless you register (not sure if that is a pay-to-use site or not) BUT I did recognize many locations in my delivery area just from the ariel view. Not sure if any have For Sale signs out front though.
User avatar
Assistant Manager
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 am
Location: Texas
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:49 am
Racket_Man wrote:
cruleworld wrote:
Racket_Man wrote:I do know there are a LOT of houses up for sale in my area (nice and not so nice). It is hard to tell sometimes if these are just regular sales or bank/short sales.

HMMM I did a Google search for foreclosed homes in <my town> and found almost 900 (some within my delivery area). Another site you may want to try is http://www.homefinder.com and put in your city name and find the foreclosure criteria.


Wow that was really eye opening to do, there is a house on my own street that is foreclosed on.


The only problem with Homefinder is that they do NOT provide the exact address of the property unless you register (not sure if that is a pay-to-use site or not) BUT I did recognize many locations in my delivery area just from the ariel view. Not sure if any have For Sale signs out front though.


Found five foreclosures in the neighborhood where we had the robbery attempt/robbery. The demographic is about 95% meatlovers, cinnamon sticks, pink lemonade, and no tips; not worth delivering to in a risk/reward context.

Return to Driver Safety - How to avoid being robbed or attacked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron