Where do you work?:
PJ's Corp
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2007 Ford Focus
1993 Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 am
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could hep me with a question that I have been having trouble finding a answer for a long time now.

So, I understand that it is company policy that we are unable to carry a handgun while at work. Though, it is also known that some drivers still carry a weapon but you never hear about it until it's used. Would any Papa John's employee be able to SEARCH your vehicle at any time to check to make sure there are no weapons?
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:15 am
Welcome to the Board!

I'm not a lawyer, so I cant offer you legal advice. I can tell you about the experience I have gathered over the years talking to many thousands of drivers...

I have never heard of an employer searching anyone's vehicles for weapons. I have heard of them looking inside for trash, neatness, cleanliness and telling drivers to clean out their cars.

Can your employer ask to search your car? Sure, they could, just as they might ask you to run an errand for them or any other non delivery request they might make. How you respond is up to you. If they insist, you could refuse, but you may risk losing your job. Except in states that outright prohibit it, it's likely legal for them to ask, but you also usually have the right to refuse.

The reality is that you are always at some risk when breaking company policy. The risk in your case is losing your job. Many if not most drivers in your situation say 'I'd rather be fired than be dead' or 'better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6'. What you decide to do is entirely up to you.

I suggest that you Google the gun laws in your state to see what laws apply to your situation.

What do you gun guys think?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

CSR/Phones

Where do you work?:
PJ's Corp
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2007 Ford Focus
1993 Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:16 am
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
I have been employed here for a little less than a year and already have had 3 attempted robberies, after the first I started carrying and it got me out of the last two, though the company never found out I used it. Recently I heard someone from a nearby store got fired for having one in their car and this is inspection week so I really didn't want the same thing happening to me.
This information really helps.
Master Driver
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1990 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am
Where (as in what state) do you work? This is an old article, but in Florida, it's actually illegal for your company to fire you for this. I wish other states would follow suit...

(old article link - http://www.thompsonhine.com/publication ... n1429.html)

It's a grey area in my state. NM views your vehicle as an extension of your house, and as such you are allowed to have anything you'd have in your home in there as well. So firearms can be carried, loaded, etc. However, being an at-will state as well, you can be fired without any explanation required. So there's really no protection from any termination here, even racism, sexism, etc.
Freaks of Nature CC, Albuquerque NM chapter
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I can still roll lower than all my friends.

CSR/Phones

Where do you work?:
PJ's Corp
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2007 Ford Focus
1993 Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 pm
I work in NC. Our vehicles aren't considered a part of our homes here.
That same firing policy applies here as well though. Any company can fire you and not even give a reason why, It's a big fuck you from the government lol. That's probably why unemployment rates keep increasing, yet they continue with that lame law. Though I did learn something else today about the whole searching your car thing. Management won't ask to search our vehicles unless they have some sort of suspicion. Apparently the guy that got fired for it was telling everyone he had one and openly carried it during every delivery. So the word got around and boom, I suppose that was his own ignorance.

cut table

Where do you work?:
pj single store
and indy
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Ford
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm
I use to work for a large pig3 franchise and was told in the same breath that we could not have a gun, but they were not able to search your car. Wink Wink So you can shoot the bad guy but it will probable cost you your job.

Assistant Manager

Where do you work?:
pizza hut
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
accord
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 pm
depends on state law, they cant search in our state

n00b

Where do you work?:
Indy store.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
VW Passat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:48 am
Read the policy very very carefully, you may find a loophole, When I was with Dominos it says they can search your vehicle if such need arises or something to that effect. Meaning, They can not randomly search the vehicle, the way it was worded, random searches are actually against policy. Don't give them a reason and they wont. you could buy a safe for your vehicle and lock it in there.
Always check laws first though. No matter what, even if a police officer asks you, you ALWAYS have the right to refuse a search.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:46 pm
Leaving your weapon in you car is of almost no use while delivering, unless you grab it every time you get out, and that seems cumbersome. Most robberies happen while the driver is out of the car.
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Return to Driver Safety - How to avoid being robbed or attacked