n00b

Where do you work?:
Big3
User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
compact car
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Hey everyone, new member here. Googled about delivery drivers and came upon this forum.

Anyway as in my title... I was robbed the other night.

I just started being a driver just a few weeks ago and didn't have any real problems til that night ofc. Was making my last run at 10pm to an appartment complex I've been to before. It wasn't a bad one at all but the area surrounding it wasn't very good. When I pulled up to the gate I seen two suspicious guys walking by the gate towards the apartments... both with hats on. I thought it was fishy but didn't think too much into it and waited for a car to let me in. I drove to the back of the apartment complex and deliveried the pizza quick and easy. Started to walk back to my car and seen the same guys walking near by... It's when I knew something bad was gonna happen.

As a car pulled out of a parking spot and drove to the exit gate, one of the guys stood by my car watching it as the other guy walked around the corner. Immediately as the car drove off the guy standing infront of my car runs towards me with a gun to my face asking for all my money.

What I lost was my car remote, phones, gun, wallet (with id/ss card/debit card) and the little bit of money I had on me. After them getting what they wanted, the guy with the gun told me to get to the ground with the gun to the back of me. I honestly thought to myself that second I'd be one of those people that would get shot immediately afterwards. But luckily they ran off across the parking lot. I quickly got up after I seen them run far enough away and went to knock on some of the doors of the appartment building I was just at. A nice lady who happened to be in the military to let me in and she called the police. At the end of the night I was back at the store. All I wanted to do was go back home to my gf but my manager wouldn't let me leave til I made a long call to the company to report the incident.

Yesterday goes by and I call up the store to see if there was any updates on my case. Same manager tells me they called in about me and tried to get ahold of me but with no phones and that being my off day, I missed the call. Now after calling the same 1-800 number I find out theres no update or notes taken. The guy on the phone told me to maybe speak with my MOC. Now I don't really know what to do. The MOC isn't a very good employee but I won't drop names. Should I possibly contact a more dependable Supervisor? Who else has been in this situation and what steps did you take afterwards?

-Thanks for any help

m311

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:05 am
Please be aware that I am fairly blunt and I ask questions. Unless I specifically call your actions into question nothing I am saying is meant to taken as though I am blaming you. I am also not one that gets all touchy-feely... so be warned :oops:

First I'd like to welcome you to the forum and say that I am glad you are physically ok.

m311 wrote:What I lost was my car remote, phones, gun, wallet (with id/ss card/debit card) and the little bit of money I had on me.

I kind of paused at "gun". I caution you not to let your employer know that you were carrying, if at all possible. If only to keep from giving them a reason to terminate you. I say this because it's been my experience that most employers do not want, or allow, their employees to carry weapons on them while at work. Your employer may allow it, but if they do not they can use the fact that you were carrying as a justifiable reason to terminate your employment.

Have you contacted your financial institution to report the debit card stolen?

And just curious... how much is "the little bit of money I had on me"? I personally carry nothing more than the bank I am given and whatever cash I get while on deliveries. I immediately put any excess cash in the lock box provided me at the store.

m311 wrote:At the end of the night I was back at the store. All I wanted to do was go back home to my gf but my manager wouldn't let me leave til I made a long call to the company to report the incident.

Did you speak to the police? Was a police report filed?

In the course of reporting that incident to through your employer, did you mention you were carrying a gun?

m311 wrote:Yesterday goes by and I call up the store to see if there was any updates on my case.

What sort of update were you expecting from your employer? As far as I know your employer will not be able to give you an update from the police report, since they are not directly involved. I fully admit that I don't know one way or another though.

You should call the police yourself for any updates on that path.

m311 wrote:The guy on the phone told me to maybe speak with my MOC.

I have no idea what an MOC is.

m311 wrote:Now I don't really know what to do.

What do you expect to be done? And by who?

m311 wrote:The MOC isn't a very good employee but I won't drop names.

Definitely a good idea not to name drop, but what makes you think this MOC isn't a good employee?

m311 wrote:Should I possibly contact a more dependable Supervisor?

Since I don't know what an MOC is it might be a good idea to speak to the next higher level of management above your store manager.

m311 wrote:Who else has been in this situation and what steps did you take afterwards?

Not I. And not knowing what company you work for means I cannot provide you with any specific advice. That's not saying that I have much in the way of specific advice without additional information.

What is it you're expecting to happen when receiving an update?
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 pm
First of all, VERY glad you are ok and so sorry that this is the content of (one of) your first posts.

m311 wrote:What I lost was my car remote, phones, gun, wallet (with id/ss card/debit card) and the little bit of money I had on me.

All the items emphasized should NEVER be on your person, ever, in ANY situation. Keep your license in your car, leave your wallet in a lockbox at the store (if your store doesn't have one, leave it at home) and never carry personal cash on you, make drops after every delivery.

As for what to do now, as elric said, the police are your point of contact, not your employer. The only reason you should be talking to your employer about this is to A) have this complex removed from your delivery range and B) discussing when you will return to work.

I also agree with elric about your carrying of a weapon, tho I am kinda curious why you didn't use it...from the way you described events, you had plenty of time to at least draw and aim...tho, as I wasn't in your shoes, I have ZERO right to criticize anything, so don't take it as such please :D
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:28 am
^^^ Excellent advice. 8-)
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Return to Driver Safety - How to avoid being robbed or attacked