What can be done to improve driver safety?

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:47 pm
What can be done to improve driver safety?

Basically, stores are never held liable for what happens to drives while on delivery. If a driver gets hurt or even killed, nothing happens to the store, even if the stores own safety rules were not followed or enforced. Yet store nationwide mandate that drivers may not carry guns or weapons of any sort to protect themselves. Stores refuse to take responsibility for driver safety (let alone even enforce their own safety rules), and drivers are not allowed to protect themselves. :x

What can be done to MAKE stores ACT like they care about driver safety instead of just SAYING they do?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 am
I suggest that "negligent homicide" law could be used to hold stores liable for what happens to drivers killed while on delivery.

A state need not even have a "negligent homicide" law on the books to prosecute a crime like that. (But it does make it easier.) The defendant (the store manager or corporate entity) can simply be charged with involuntary manslaughter and then be shown to be negligent in causing it in the trial. Previous successful case law on claims of negligence will support the case as long as the judge agrees with the premise.

The real problem is that FAMLIES are never informed of how common it is for the safety rules to not be enforced at all, so they never even know that they should pursue criminal charges and civil suits.

Newspapers and police (AFAIK) never report on whether safety procedures were followed or enforced. That's where we can make a difference.

Write comments in the newspaper asking for reporters to investigate what safety rules were broken, and if they were routinely ignored at that store/chain. Ask police to document what rules were ignored. (Police likely won’t or can’t charge anyone with ignoring company safety policy, but if they document it, the DA can use it to show a pattern of negligence.) (The store will try to blame the drivers, but if it can be shown that management never makes anyone follow safety rules, they will be held responsible.)

Tactful condolence letters can be written to families of victims that also mention the problem of un-enforced safety rules and that they should seek answers and demand responsibility for inaction.

No one was suing stores for mileage until we beat the drum over and over about the injustice. No one is suing stores for responsibility in drivers deaths even though we all see that they DO bear some responsibility for what happens to us on delivery.

Every time a driver dies, or is attacked: Beat the drum.

dough slapper

User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 pm
If a driver is dumb enough to work this dangerous job without a weapon, regardless of the rules, they deserve what they have coming.

If drivers are too stupid to challenge authority and demand that safety procedures be followed, and to protect themselves, they really have no one to blame but their own stupidity and timidity, do they?

If you're such a pussy and so ignorant that you will do this kind of work and lamely accept the status quo on the weapons policy, I am not going to cry for your dumb ass when you wind up dead.

n00b

User Type:
Ex-Driver
Car you drive:
Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am
All drivers just do what the robber says if you work for dpz you are not supposed to have more than 20 dollars on you and the store will pay that but anymore that you are missing is your fault it is your responsibility to do safety drops at the drop boxes in the back. Also I do not see why a manager would be held responsible for a driver being murdered. When most of the time this happens there are plenty of warnings signs such as dark house no lights on the front a house that looks like a dump and does not look livable. When a driver sees anything out of the norm they should call the store and the store should then call the customer. Also that is why dpz enforces security call backs on new addresses. if the driver does not call once again it is their own fault the driver screen reminds you that it is a new customer and tells you to do a security call back. My point is that no weapons should be on you if you have a weapon and as a manager i would have to fire the employee if i hear they have a weapon dominos tells drivers in the employee handbooks that weapons of any kind are not allowed.

n00b

User Type:
Other Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
'01 Sebring Sedan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:05 am
LoneStar wrote:If a driver is dumb enough to work this dangerous job without a weapon, regardless of the rules, they deserve what they have coming.

If drivers are too stupid to challenge authority and demand that safety procedures be followed, and to protect themselves, they really have no one to blame but their own stupidity and timidity, do they?

If you're such a pussy and so ignorant that you will do this kind of work and lamely accept the status quo on the weapons policy, I am not going to cry for your dumb ass when you wind up dead.

i'm speaking from working in a very safe delivery area, but this post is just absurd. i have no qualms with DD's (delivery drivers) carrying weapons (or anyone for that matter who can pass a background check), but to suggest that those who don't deserve to be robbed, or even worse, killed, is just disgusting and distasteful. and if you don't feel bad for your fellow DD getting robbed or worse yet, killed, there's nothing i can say to you in life that will actually help you out cause that is just sick. pathetic.

n00b
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
1997 GMC V8 305 5.7L with 185k miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am
Ive been a delivery driver at dominos now for 7 months and things we do to increase our safety as a driver is one call back all new customers, secondly, call back any suspicious customers, another is carry no more than $20 dollars on you. Another thing is call back and verify the customers address.
Assistant Manager
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm
dominos_IN_2009 wrote:Ive been a delivery driver at dominos now for 7 months and things we do to increase our safety as a driver is one call back all new customers, secondly, call back any suspicious customers, another is carry no more than $20 dollars on you. Another thing is call back and verify the customers address.

I agree.

...and a couple other things to add.

No car toppers, ever. It's a crime of opportunity magnet.

No large bills on delivery or carryout. Not getting robbed on delivery is cold comfort when a thug with a handgun is standing inside your store carrying out a robbery.

Better driver training. Every driver should be taught:

* watch your surroundings. I won't get out of the car when a group is loitering outside a house or an apartment. I've been yelled at, screamed at, threatened for not delivering because a bunch of bangers were hanging out on the front porch. So what.
* know which houses are vacant. If the house looks vacant, don't get out.
*on new deliveries, drive by first and scout the area.
* never deliver to a dark house at night, even if it's an existing customer. First, it's just rude, and second, you're in the dark and at risk.
* at night, do a drive by on the address, even if it's a long time customer. Familiarity breeds contempt, and contempt for your own safety will get you killed.
*you call back a new customer and ask them to turn the lights on. No lights turn on but a person(s) appear in the front yard. Don't get out and just head right back to the store. If it's a legit customer, they can fix the porch light whenever they decide receiving their order is more important than paying $2.00 for a new bulb. Chances are it's a setup, and you're in trouble the second you leave the vehicle.
* Be firm without being rude. Like I said earlier, I've been yelled at, screamed at, cussed out, threatened with the dreaded "I'll call your corporate office and have you fired", but I take it in stride and still tell them, 'No'.
* Never, ever, ever let anyone approach you on a delivery. If you see someone (other than a well known customer) walking towards you and calling out "Hey!", make your way back to the vehicle quickly and leave. Don't get guilted into a robbery by feeling bad for ignoring someone flagging you down.

Some of these are laid out in company policies, and some of these I've learned the hard way after some close brushes with thugs.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm
^^^ Great advice!

I have a 'rule of thumb' that I have been sharing for years now: "Anyone wearing a 'hoodie' is trying to kill me until proven otherwise."

Assistant Manager
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 am
gregster wrote:^^^ Great advice!

I have a 'rule of thumb' that I have been sharing for years now: "Anyone wearing a 'hoodie' is trying to kill me until proven otherwise."

Yeah, especially in summertime. Down in the Deep South, it's still 102 at night in mid-summer, so there's no reason to wear a hoodie other than to conceal a weapon.
Assistant Manager
Where do you work?:
Big 3
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Honda Accord
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:13 am
gregster wrote:What can be done to improve driver safety?

It's a great topic. I've certainly thought about the subject quite a bit lately, especially with unemployment continuing to rise.
Next

Return to Driver Safety - How to avoid being robbed or attacked