Thoughts on an EV

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 am
gregster wrote:And if the employer has an arbitration agreement with a no class or collective action clause? Then what? No lawyer will touch that case for a single litigant.

The arbitration agreement would just mean you'd have to go through a different form of legal recourse. The laws are still the same. I admit that it might take effort to find an attorney willing to take the case for a single litigant. I admit that it might not be possible to find an attorney willing to take the case under contingency for their costs.

gregster wrote:And what if he is legally fired for cause,

What if the Earth his hit by an asteroid causing an Extinction Level Event?

gregster wrote:And what if he... has an at fault accident...

Have insurance, but wouldn't he do that already?

gregster wrote:And what if he is... permanent injury that prevents him from delivery as a source of income?

Gregster wrote:What if he actually succeeds and after winning his company files bankruptcy and has no assets to pay the claim, then what

Honestly? Well that sucks. Honestly? If that business cannot absorb one litigant's financial claims, then IMO the business was doomed to fail regardless of what one single employee's legal claims were.

None of these issues are specific to purchasing a new vehicle. Are there risks? Yes, there's risk in everything we do. I will not debate with you how to mitigate each and every conceivable negative future event.

Gregster wrote:You won your case and that's great, but NONE of us can foresee what may happen 2-4 years in the future. Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best IMHO.

Thanks, I'll keep that under advisement. I am fully aware that most of the people that work in our industry are doing so because they have no or few other options; whether that is because they have no skills, no education, no work experience, or are unwilling to take risks to find a better job (I say "better" because most of society looks at our job as a lower/lowest tier profession), I was simply providing an alternative.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 am
elric92 wrote:I admit that it might take effort to find an attorney willing to take the case for a single litigant. I admit that it might not be possible to find an attorney willing to take the case under contingency for their costs.

It's not the 'effort' that counts but the attorneys potential profit on the claim. You can have all the "effort" anyone could possibly muster, but if the attorney cannot make a decent profit and cover their costs, they won't take the case.

elric92 wrote:What if the Earth his hit by an asteroid causing an Extinction Level Event?

What if it isn't and he is left with a payment he cant make? Stop being fecetious.

gregster wrote:
And what if he... has an at fault accident...

elric wrote:

You assume. What if he is not covered, or if does not have "Gap Insurance" What if his 'at work' claim is denied?

gregster wrote:
And what if he is... permanent injury that prevents him from delivery as a source of income?

elric wrote:

Most policies DO NOT include that. Or do you disagree?
"If you ain't on the road, you ain't makin' money!" - gregster

Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Formally employed by a Papa Johns Franchise in Washington state.
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
One with an internal combustion engine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 am
gregster wrote:
elric92 wrote:What if the Earth his hit by an asteroid causing an Extinction Level Event?

What if it isn't and he is left with a payment he cant make? Stop being fecetious.

I asked that question in advance to illustrate that the questions you are asking are part of all conceivable negative future events. I know I am but so are you!

gregster wrote:
gregster wrote:And what if he... has an at fault accident...

elric wrote: Have insurance, but wouldn't he do that already?

You assume. What if he is not covered, or if does not have "Gap Insurance" What if his 'at work' claim is denied?

Yes, I assume. Don't you? You seem to be assuming that he does not have "Gap Insurance". I have no interest in entering into a debate with you on every conceivable negative future event. Nor do I desire to continue down each line of questioning ad nauseum.

gregster wrote:
gregster wrote:And what if he is... permanent injury that prevents him from delivery as a source of income?

elric wrote:Have insurance, but wouldn't he do that already?

Most policies DO NOT include that. Or do you disagree?

I cannot disagree without you asking a specific question. But to speed this along... I have no interest in entering into a debate with you on every conceivable negative future event. Nor do I desire to continue down each line of questioning ad nauseum.

I provided an alternative. Accept it or don't. You obviously do not accept it, that's your choice.
Don't expect others to fight your Battles

cut table

Where do you work?:
Papa Johns
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Nissan Leaf (Primary)
Geo Metro (Backups)
Geo Tracker
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 am
I deliver for papa johns. I have an electric car and it is so far the best decision I could have made.

MIND YOU there are quid pro quos to current EV's

First is miles per year. the more you drive the more worth it the car is.

if you drive 12k a year avoid an EV unless you simply want one.

if like me you drive 40k a year and plan right GET ONE your going to love it.

some quid pro quo's NOT a good choice as an ONLY CAR. period. I have 5 cars. I keep a metro behind papa johns as a backup in case I run out of juice. a minivan at home and a tracker at my second job (family business in nj)

Next. it would REALLY help if you can get a 220v outlet at work to speed up charging (trickle charging on 110v is REALLY REALLY slow!! I know. 6 weeks of L1 trickle charging. 21 hour charge from "zero" (so I never went below 20 miles so I would not have an excessively long recharge)

now with 3.3kw L2 its a 3 to 4 hours charge 6.5 hours max if I run it all the way down.

you will get less mileage delivering. I get around 80 miles to a charge. sometimes as low as 60. and it will get worse in the winter especially if you use heat or AC. (AC is not so bad heat is a pig)

I bought an indoor safe propane heater (little buddy) so I don't have to use heat in the winter. that combined with 220v charging and I don't anticipate a problem.

I ALREADY KNOW my warranty will be poof in 3 years (100,000 miles) I already know I will likely need a new battery in 2.5 to 3 years ($6000)

I am fine with this. I fully expect to buy 2 batteries in the next 6 years (every 3 years) and have factored it into my cost.

electrical costs are so low I simply ignore them. (it is that cheap)

I estimate if I can get 90,000 miles out of each battery I will save around $21,000 in gasoline.

I got the car for $17k so gas savings alone pays for the car and almost the next battery pack. after that its gravy. each $6000 battery will also save me $21,000 in fuel each.

buy a 1 or 2 year old EV with low miles for half the new EV price but MAKE SURE to check the condition of the battery pack !! and make sure you get the remainder of both the capacity and defect warranty.

no more common gas repairs.

no fuel system. no exhaust system. no emissions system. no cooling system. no power steering fluid no transmission.

not only that but the few systems left have NO hydrocarbons burning away near them or through them so they will last much much longer (no grease no crime no soot etc.. in the engine bay you can damned near eat off the engine)

I average 60 to 125 miles a day delivering. (typically work 11 to 9)

so some questions.

do you have a backup car? will they let you keep it at work? safe to do so?

Can you charge at work (EXTREMELY important)? Can you FAST charge at work? COULD be extremely important!!

if your breaker box is in the back wall where you park you only need about $50 in stuff to put a 220v outlet. Will work let you do this? Do you know someone who is a certified electrician? this WILL be important. no business in their right mind will let a non certified driver install a 220v 30amp circuit in their building. I know I would not. it must be done right and it must be legal and to code!!

My neighbor is a 30 year certified electrician. he charged me $75 and some DD coffee and bagels to do it. WELL worth it.

I am also going one step further and buying a locking box to glue to the wall over the outlet to protect my employer from say a kid or punk deciding to see what happens if he shoves his pocket knife into the funny looking outlet :-) figure another $20.

if you can work within the limitations of the vehicle and you make enough money and you drive enough miles an EV can save you a crap ton of money.

I have a Nissan Leaf. BTW the nav system is total crap just get an $80 sprint galaxy tab 3 to mount over it $23 a month with freedom pop gets you a data connection for it. MUCH nicer :-)
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:16 am
Welcome to the Board!

Excellent first post!

How did you find us?

cut table

Where do you work?:
Papa Johns
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Nissan Leaf (Primary)
Geo Metro (Backups)
Geo Tracker
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 am
Pretty sure it was from that "tip the pizza guy" site IIRC.

a link on there lead to one of the threads I think.
Master Driver
Where do you work?:
Papa John's franchise
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
2010 Ford Fusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 am
nerys wrote:Pretty sure it was from that "tip the pizza guy" site IIRC.

a link on there lead to one of the threads I think.

Cool! I was a foolish n00b there for a long time! I learned a hell of a lot there until I grew so informed that they considered my incessant 'informative' legal oriented posts to be annoying and I soon became 'persona non grata' there and was strongly encouraged to 'go make your own website' if you think you know better, so I did! 8-)

Now we both peacefully co-exist.

I will continue to post ANYWHERE as long as I might help even one driver solve a problem they face at work. :D

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 am
nerys wrote:so some questions.

do you have a backup car? will they let you keep it at work? safe to do so?

Can you charge at work (EXTREMELY important)? Can you FAST charge at work? COULD be extremely important!!

if your breaker box is in the back wall where you park you only need about $50 in stuff to put a 220v outlet. Will work let you do this? Do you know someone who is a certified electrician? this WILL be important. no business in their right mind will let a non certified driver install a 220v 30amp circuit in their building. I know I would not. it must be done right and it must be legal and to code!!

My neighbor is a 30 year certified electrician. he charged me $75 and some DD coffee and bagels to do it. WELL worth it.

I am also going one step further and buying a locking box to glue to the wall over the outlet to protect my employer from say a kid or punk deciding to see what happens if he shoves his pocket knife into the funny looking outlet :-) figure another $20.

First wanna say, I'm glad you are doing well, REALLY wish I could have talked to you months ago!

Second, before I answer your questions, wanna give ya some background. I did a TON of research on EV's...like browsed forums and talked to people who had Leafs (Leaves? :D) for about 6 months before I brought up this thread.

Now, to answer your questions:

I do have a backup car, and could, in theory, keep it at work to use.

Yes and yes, if I buy the equipment. We already have the right plug installed at the store, by the back of the store no less. It was put there for when Domino's used to keep washer/dryer units so they didn't have to pay for washing of aprons and towels. WE do not currently use the plug, so I was given permission to use it. And, as an added security bonus, I was going to be running the cord through the dryer vent, keeping the entire unit inside the store, thus no worry of vandals. With that being said, however, they are going to be moving us Soon™ and I have been told there won't be one installed there since we do pay for Cintas.

cut table

Where do you work?:
Papa Johns
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Nissan Leaf (Primary)
Geo Metro (Backups)
Geo Tracker
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 am
Ask to install one if you pay for everything including a certified electrician. (That last part is critical)

Closing Driver

Where do you work?:
Papa John's
User Type:
Pizza Delivery Driver
Car you drive:
Toyota Camry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Call it thread necromancy, but it's relevant now.

Currently revisiting this idea now that EVs with the range to be actual primary delivery cars have become sorta affordable. Going to be attempting to purchase a Chevy Bolt on the 27th. The Bolt is rated for a range of around 250 miles, though Car and driver was able to get 190 miles out of one, even when doing so using driving habits that were designed to drain the battery as fast as possible (doing 75 on an interstate, with climate control going, lights on and playing music)

There is also the Tesla Model 3 coming out this year, which is also rated around 250 miles per charge.

Both cars are in the $30k range, though I found a 2017 Bolt being sold in Florida for 25k.
Previous

Return to Cars/Vehicles